The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MH, Sad to say , but some of us are born to have Tremec and some of us have to learn the hard way............I said it before and I'll say it again......The Boss should have come with a Tremec....who's kidding who here???!!!!..........For my application a MT82 will suffice, not for yours, tho............Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Well of the five or six (lost count) MT82's that we have repaired, this is new.....

View attachment 85756
View attachment 85757

I hope that's not from the new fourth gear....... Assuming the input shaft is kaput since into didn't shift into any gears. Usually its just the syncro teeth that go.
You're a glutton for punishment. I got bitten by the Calimer Stage 2 build and cut my losses quickly. The Tremec is a bit of work and you need to swap to a 26 spline clutch and purchase a new drive shaft, but so far it has lasted longer than the Calimer build and was only a little more money.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I know.... Calimer sent me the rebuild parts for a good price and included the bearings etc. But this time around I ordered the 26 spline shaft and ordered a 26 spline clutch disk as well. So this fix will cost me about a third of a XL swap. But I will be set up for that in the future.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I know.... Calimer sent me the rebuild parts for a good price and included the bearings etc. But this time around I ordered the 26 spline shaft and ordered a 26 spline clutch disk as well. So this fix will cost me about a third of a XL swap. But I will be set up for that in the future.
Just an FYI there is a shortage of magnums with the correct gear ratio.
Kohr had the only ones I could find and he only had 3. Now he has two.
Don't wait too long or there may be none.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
But if you have already gone through 5-6 Mt82's you could have bought 2-3 Magnum XL's and not missed as many races due to break downs.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its all Fabmans fault. I would have got the XL, but he went and killed two so far. But all joking aside. I should have gotten the XL long time ago. If I do, will leave the redline at 7800rpm

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Its all Fabmans fault. I would have got the XL, but he went and killed two so far. But all joking aside. I should have gotten the XL long time ago. If I do, will leave the redline at 7800rpm
I only killed one and it was self inflicted. The first one was with my 700/700 supercharged 3 valve. That trans is still alive and in a friends track car.
The one that I messed up with the Coyote, I put tremec fluid in and proceeded to shift at 8200 rpm....way above its RPM rating. That one started grinding into 3rd after a few races. It missed shifts 16 times in 17 laps at sonoma in 2022 so I replaced the Tremec fluid with fresh amsoil (as I ran in the first trans that lived) the grinding/miss shifts went away for quite a while...(Amsoil is truly magic sauce) I then ran that same trans for 2 racing seasons with it dying only after the Dyno guy at nationals shifted it without the clutch for multiple dyno runs. After that it was toast.
I finally bought a new one and installed the recommended upgrades and fully expect it to handle the torture I plan to give it.

So the learning here is:
Buy a new Magnum XL, Install about $500.00 worth of upgraded parts, and only use Amsoil ATF in it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The Magnum is not perfect out of the box, but with $500 in upgrade parts it will handle 8,000+ all day long.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I forgot about that dyno guy killing some gears.
Yeah, it was ugly. The day before I think it missed 1 or 2 shifts in a 30 min qualifier. After the dyno fiasco I could barely make 1 or 2 laps. It was terrible.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Yes, but that is @Fabman. I believe he could tear up an anvil. I am actually thankful that he pushes things to failure and shares the experience with us on here. Now I know how hard I can push my Magnum XL without breaking it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal is a soul to be reckoned with for sure!!!!......His record on the track only proves what I'm saying...He has my respect all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Give this man a cookie.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, within reason, I am happy today. The parts I ordered from Calimer more then cover the parts that died in my most recent dead MT82. Will do a full rebuild in any case to leave it in the best possible condition.

1682622935327.png
Finding the false knock probably caused this trannies early demise. The car pulled hard with its new "street:" race gas tune but the e85 swap was delayed because of the of the broken tranny. To get rid of the knock we had to make a small modification to the custom headers so it would not knock on the starter under load.
1682623272635.png
And.... We found a short 15mm wrench in the K brace.....
1682623335363.png
Though the starter motor is the more likely culprit.

TMO Supporting Vendors