The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
I had considered one of those mini-trailers once. Then I figured out it would take a lot of hotel stays to make it pay off unless I picked one up for a steal. I just don't go to the track that much yet.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PJWANNABE said:
I had considered one of those mini-trailers once. Then I figured out it would take a lot of hotel stays to make it pay off unless I picked one up for a steal. I just don't go to the track that much yet.

That's not for the track, that's just for "camping" and being towed by the wife's Mini Cooper. I have a 36' enclosed trailer with AC for stays at the track :)

This was on page 4....

http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Images/PDF/GS%20and%20ST%20SpecificCarRegulations2012_12_18.pdf

That's it folks!

Grand Am publishes updates to this throughout the year,so there have been some changes to this. The RPM limit is just one of those, although I'm not sure where to find them. Remember Grand Am is owned by NASCAR so the rules don't stay written in stone for long.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well guys, it's official. I drove the car (gutted) over to the fab shop today and handed them a wad of cash to get started on the build in earnest. Stay tuned for progress pictures over the next few weeks as we try to emulate the 302S!

Also I ordered this switchplate from Watson Racing--they should have more 302S/R products on their website coming soon!! (They already have a lot of stuff as they build all the R/S cars in-house. I ordered jack points from them as well!) www.watsonracing.com

uUIYO3N.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Zquez said:
Beast. Super Jelly.

This. Looks like one of the local cars I've been watching sold...maybe I should just start acquiring the parts...and the car will materialize! Like that center console switchplate...niiiice. Are you relocating your headlight switch there?

Please post pics of the cage build!

Grant 302 said:
This. Looks like one of the local cars I've been watching sold...maybe I should just start acquiring the parts...and the car will materialize!
You don't have enough parts already? ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Need a tire guy?

;)

Yes, but since I'm just clubracing I'm pretty much a one-man team--because I'm the only person I can afford :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
This. Looks like one of the local cars I've been watching sold...maybe I should just start acquiring the parts...and the car will materialize! Like that center console switchplate...niiiice. Are you relocating your headlight switch there?

Please post pics of the cage build!

Don't worry you will start getting antsy once this thing starts truly getting finished.

As far as the switch plate, I'm definitely relocating the headlight switch there. I'm also going to move the trunk release function there and potentially an ABS reset switch. Not sure where I'm going to mount my cool shirt knobs etc but I will utilize the console plate if possible.

I'll be popping into the shop from time to time to get some progress pics, don't worry.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This box of wires was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Weird.

9CBYaFZ.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, OK :)

Bg70rpy.jpg

Comes with oil temp and pressure senders--anyone (Gary, *cough, cough*) know good places to fit these up on the engine? Preferably without drilling/tapping any new holes...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ordered the AIM mounting bracket from Watson last night as well; the included FR500S bracket I got will work, but not without butchering the stock steering cover.

Now it will look like this:

WR-AIMBRKT-3T.jpg

WR-AIMBRKT-2T.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors