The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
Yeah, 1.75" diameter .120 wall DOM. NASA/SCCA regulation for cars this heavy :eek:

Sounds like they are going to TIG all the welds once everything is tacked in-place, the shop owner wants to show off a bit I guess :)

TIGging is a pain, especially getting into the spot where you can't access very well, there's a reason why fabricators prefer "squirt welders" but TIG welds are awesome, it's hard to have a "bad" TIG weld even the ugly ones are strong. I'd say that's a heck of a deal for $3750 if he's going to TIG it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
blacksheep-1 said:
TIGging is a pain, especially getting into the spot where you can't access very well, there's a reason why fabricators prefer "squirt welders" but TIG welds are awesome, it's hard to have a "bad" TIG weld even the ugly ones are strong. I'd say that's a heck of a deal for $3750 if he's going to TIG it.

Agreed $3750 is a good price, you have to paint it or is that included too?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
steveespo said:
Agreed $3750 is a good price, you have to paint it or is that included too?
ArizonaGT said:
Cage materials + fab/install + full interior paint is going to be $3750.

Nice price with TIG welding! And looks like a great turnaround time too.

I'm trying to keep my posting in this thread to a minimum...because IT'S KILLING ME!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Paint is included in the $3750, going to have the whole interior of the car sprayed so all the areas where I scraped off sound deadening junk will be body color.

Work is being done by Flatout Motorworx of Tempe, AZ. Their website is a bit outdated but here it is: http://602flatout.com/

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Updates?.....

I'm out of the country this week and next; begging my contacts at the shop for progress pics but so far nothing has been sent to me yet :(

:)

Hopefully it will be back from paint and have a multitude of other goodies installed by the time I get home.

Stay tuned!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Minor update from the shop:

"Will do on Monday, didn't get a lot of visible work done. A pillar floor boxes are welded, tacked in. Bars are measured and ready to bend, but haven't been started in tube yet. Basically looks like it did, lots of prep work done that is necessary but doesn't look like progress."

ArizonaGT said:

"Will do on Monday, didn't get a lot of visible work done. A pillar floor boxes are welded, tacked in. Bars are measured and ready to bend, but haven't been started in tube yet. Basically looks like it did, lots of prep work done that is necessary but doesn't look like progress."

that's a step forward! As long as they are still progressing!!

Luke

ArizonaGT said:

believe me the prep work is where the effort really is, welding it together is almost a relief, because you actually see something attached.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here are a couple updates, they are getting ready to weld in the boxes/pedestals for the front downbars.
I can see what they meant about prep work, because it probably takes a lot of time to get the curves on both sides of these boxes matched enough to the shape of the car, close enough to weld.

SobJWSp.jpg

MlkaK2t.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stopped by the shop today, not much of any progress that can be shown. I guess they have the downbars bent and ready to go in, but they are focusing on another car's cage right now as his deadline is much sooner than mine.

On the plus side, it sounds like all my hardware is in-house (Watson seat bases, EFF fire system, Cool Shirt system, etc).

I will stop by again late next week to see what's happening.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I was looking to get a set of 18x10 Forgestar F14s from Vorshlag but time and money constraints have pushed me in another direction. I've instead ordered a set of 18x10 SVE Drift wheels from LateModelRestoration.com. They should be here this week.

I'll probably pick up a set of 18x11 F14s sometime in 2014 so I can run some really wide tires (actual 305+).

My cage builder aims to finish the cage and other items this week and send to paint next Monday.

Looks like my first race is getting pulled in one week from Oct 5/6 to September 28/29. It's gonna be hectic!!

neema said:
Are you going to use any sort of dash gauge (AIM MXL, Stack, Motec)?

It's a long thread, so I'm not going to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure he got a second-hand AiM dash. Or, maybe it was first-hand and he just got a good deal. My memory. ???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got a used AIM MXL Pista loaded w/ a BOSS-S config file waiting in the garage. Not sure if I'll have it set up in-time for the first event at the end of this month. We shall see :)

TMO Supporting Vendors