The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cortex Torque Arm and Watts: An Honest, Thorough, Track Based Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have pictures of the underside of your car where the quad exhaust is? Was just curious to see where the side exit ends up in relation to the torque arm mounting. Thanks
Sorry I don't. I will have car on lift this weekend and will take some pics.

As an update, I lowered the cortex watts link to the lowest level/hole and the change in grip, compared to the hole above, was quite significant. I do not have a torque arm but I do have sway bars, rear and front.

Before, every lap risked oversteer exiting multiple corners. With the new adjustment, and no others, I did not experience oversteer once in over 40 laps. That really gave me confidence to search for new limits much more comfortably and smoothly than before.

I suspect they’ll be more adjustments to come in one or another suspension parts as I grow into the car and develop more skills on track. Fun to have those options 😀

That all was on GYF1 275’s - can’t wait to try out the Michelin slick scrubs (315’s) this season on my wider set of silver bbs’s. Track toy time

As an update, I lowered the cortex watts link to the lowest level/hole and the change in grip, compared to the hole above, was quite significant. I do not have a torque arm but I do have sway bars, rear and front.

Before, every lap risked oversteer exiting multiple corners. With the new adjustment, and no others, I did not experience oversteer once in over 40 laps. That really gave me confidence to search for new limits much more comfortably and smoothly than before.

I suspect they’ll be more adjustments to come in one or another suspension parts as I grow into the car and develop more skills on track. Fun to have those options 😀

That all was on GYF1 275’s - can’t wait to try out the Michelin slick scrubs (315’s) this season on my wider set of silver bbs’s. Track toy time
And the eye opening begins…..

So, I just mounted the torque arm and it’s heavier then expected. A lot heavier. I should have weighed it but my guess is it must be around 30-40lbs.
Considering how much time I spent cutting pounds from the car this is not exactly what I was looking for but I totally see its potential and also see that some people might not feel the difference.

The big questions for me is:
Is the weight penalty being made up by its functionality?

I got a wattslink a long time ago. Never seen any big time improvements as a direct result but also did not mind it. Honestly, its hard to tell and weather and tire age play too much of a role here. Biggest benefit for me is that it keeps the axle centered and big rear tires out of the body work.

So, I just mounted the torque arm and it’s heavier then expected. A lot heavier. I should have weighed it but my guess is it must be around 30-40lbs.
Considering how much time I spent cutting pounds from the car this is not exactly what I was looking for but I totally see its potential and also see that some people might not feel the difference.

The big questions for me is:
Is the weight penalty being made up by its functionality?

I got a wattslink a long time ago. Never seen any big time improvements as a direct result but also did not mind it. Honestly, its hard to tell and weather and tire age play too much of a role here. Biggest benefit for me is that it keeps the axle centered and big rear tires out of the body work.
The best way to benefit from the Watts is by changing the roll center....put the bell crank in the very top hole and then go down one hole at a time until you reach the bottom. I promise you it will be eye opening.

The best way to benefit from the Watts is by changing the roll center....put the bell crank in the very top hole and then go down one hole at a time until you reach the bottom. I promise you it will be eye opening.
Oh yea, already done that. I see no reason to go back from it at this point. Lots of testing to be done.

What are your thoughts on the torque arm?

Oh yea, already done that. I see no reason to go back from it at this point. Lots of testing to be done.

What are your thoughts on the torque arm?
I have one. Works well for me.

I had my torque arm and watts link installed at the same so can only compare before and after.
Love how it feels, I have a lot more confidence in the rear end noticeably less squat on acceleration and less dive when brake.
I do get more gear noise transferred onto the cabin around 60-70mph. I even had my rear gears refreshed which helped a little. Probably wouldn’t run the torque arm if my car was my daily but it’s not so dont care. Also the torque arm weight is down low and the position has to help the front to rear weight bias imo.
Torque arm does make it harder when needed to remove the driveshaft

I ran just the watts link for over a year. Other than the adjustment in roll center, the biggest handling change for me was with the torque arm. Prior the car felt almost disconnected front to read as opposed to after putting in the torque arm. At the limit the car became very predictable. For me pound for pound the torque arm was the best handling mod, for me it was totally worth the weight. The car was and is totally decked out with all of the Cortex bits, but after the torque arm it all came together. Hope you like it!

Fantastic info. As much as I would love to see some proper data, this all sounds plenty good and I will stick with it.

On that note, I did some weigh ins. The torque arm comes in about ~23 lbs heavier than the UCA.

Custom UCA with. upper spherical incl hardware: 9.5 lbs

Torque arm total: ~32.6 lbs

Torque arm itself: 19.4 lbs
Large mounting plate: 7.2 lbs
Not weighed: Dif bracket, U mount, misc hardware. guesstimate: ~6 lbs.

Fantastic info. As much as I would love to see some proper data, this all sounds plenty good and I will stick with it.

On that note, I did some weigh ins. The torque arm comes in about ~23 lbs heavier than the UCA.

Custom UCA with. upper spherical incl hardware: 9.5 lbs

Torque arm total: ~32.6 lbs

Torque arm itself: 19.4 lbs
Large mounting plate: 7.2 lbs

I bet its a lot more than that....

I've run torque arms back in my Gen 3 Camaro days, any under braking wheelhop was fixed by installing after market trailing arms that were much stiffer and had better bushings. Shocks may also have fixed it, but they were regulated.
As far as the Watts... well no habla.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel