The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
wd240801_01770.jpeg

S650 Darkhorse R Mustang Challenge Car #58 Build Thread Profile - S650 Mustangs

Darkhorse R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The brakes on these cars are outstanding, they are a great all around car. My personal opinion is that they could've been developed a bit more before release, but everything performance oriented will have a few bugs in it. In GS we're fighting the new, smaller front tire, I think we finally found the answer there, but the season is half over.
The whole MC project is massive, Long is running around like a mad man herding cats, he's one of the nicest guys I've met.
The biggest problem I see is that unlike the pld FR500 class with 300HP, these have around 475 or more, so the learning curve is not as forgiving.
im sure if you turned the clock back you would fix the items that we now know are issues, but there would still be others popping up.. that's just the way it is. Right now, the biggest issue is not the cars, but drivers doing dumb moves.

.View attachment 97570
These seem to work much better when they stay attached to the vehicle

Great weekend at Road America. The crowds were insane. Watkins Glen was busy, but this was packed. Two solid races and a very useful points score with a 4th and 5th place finish in DHL.

I've tracked Road America a lot, but this was my first race there.

Lots of learning about the race line and track limits in several key corners. You have to exceed what would typically be considered track limits for a track day by a LOT in T1, T5, T12 and T13. Think I got T13 down, but more work needed in the others. I'll be back for more testing prior to next season!!

Meanwhile some photos. Thanks to @steveespo for the Meatball dinner and Birthday cake Friday night!!

4CC7B858-3C21-49C4-92AE-51BBDBC24BFE.jpeg
868A59BE-D1AB-4F6F-A009-3DC41ACEBBC4.jpeg
IMG_9110.jpegwd240801_09063.jpegwd240801_01770.jpegwd240801_02380.jpegIMG_9109.jpegIMG_9102.jpeg

453749993_3630517970412226_8179314630002767629_n.jpeg

Last edited:
We have to weigh 3635 minimum dry with no driver or fuel. So with fuel and Nick we are at about 3900-3950 depending on fuel we need to finish the race.
Great to see you. Thanks for stopping by!
To me watching the Sunday race on tv, a congratulatory thumbs up to Nick and his crew for a P4 finish. You guys are truly “legends” !!

So... if it pleases all concerned, @Blackboss, @Steevespro.. etc. Would it be beneficial to combine the Mustang Challenge stuff into 1 thread?
Just asking.

So... if it pleases all concerned, @Blackboss, @Steevespro.. etc. Would it be beneficial to combine the Mustang Challenge stuff into 1 thread?
Just asking.
Rob just post any thing you have in here. There seems to be a positive relationship between our two Teams.Ford Guys.jpg

Blacksheep 1, the tire-d and re- tire-d , retreaded Tire Guru ! Rob you are a working way too hard for a guy who says he doesn't want to work too hard, ha! Congrats on the year so far and obviously passion has outweighed your sense of time and that means you obviously are worn out, but happy!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel