The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
wd240801_01770.jpeg

S650 Darkhorse R Mustang Challenge Car #58 Build Thread Profile - S650 Mustangs

Darkhorse R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dang, glad you were unscathed.

I didn’t realize the series was coming to COTA. Not sure I can make it there. It would nice the see these cars and TMO members in person.

I want to start racing again, but I don’t have that kind of budget.

Watched that Mustang Challenge race on IMSA TV yesterday. Man there was a lot of carnage. But it was pretty entertaining and lots of close racing. One make series tend to be that way.
Thats not what IMSA said at the MANDATORY Sunday morning Driver Briefing. The hammer will be dropped on any more bad driver behavior on track. Our guys are very good at racing like gentlemen, but some others have gotten a little overaggressive and it shows.

Thats not what IMSA said at the MANDATORY Sunday morning Driver Briefing. The hammer will be dropped on any more bad driver behavior on track. Our guys are very good at racing like gentlemen, but some others have gotten a little overaggressive and it shows.
Yeah some of the moves yesterday wouldn't have fly in more serious racing series.

Is it true that the Dark Horses R's don't run ABS ?

Which series? The 6 hour was crazy. Not sure where the Gt3 Mustangs finished, but they left their mandatory body work debris on the track.

Keep it going @Black Boss ! You are in spitting distance of 2nd/3rd place in the championship! FINISHING races and staying out of trouble is paying off! Maybe even a shot at first place if Z. Lee starts making mistakes (rare thus far)! Good luck sir!

Nick is Ludachrisly close to 2nd , just 50 points out from his 4th place standing in the DHL Class. Smooth and Steady is winning the races and Nick has been avoiding the Carnage Contenders. It sure seems alot of the accidents are sheer driver error on a silly scale , since so many involve just the one driver. Keep rocking Nick and you will beat those guys to Smithereens! Heh, I am older than you so I am allowed Dad Jokes ----er, Grandad Jokes,ha!

Last edited:
They need to drop that hammer because there was a ton of dodgy stuff going on. I wonder if there was any post race action taken? Maybe that kind of driving is acceptable these days? It sure wasn't back in the day.

Which series? The 6 hour was crazy. Not sure where the Gt3 Mustangs finished, but they left their mandatory body work debris on the track.
At our DarkHorse series meeting Rob. They have a lot more tolerance for the argy bargy in Weather Tech since most contacts don't result in FCY that last 3/4 of the race. Or maybe they do..................

I heard that comment, seemed unlikely to me. Based on Ford press materials “Performance ABS” is included.
The ABS system is a 10 position Bosch Motorsport system. Very advanced. The front calipers and rotors are the same as used on the Ferrari 296 GT3. So there are now 2 cars in the World factory equipped with that setup. Dark Horse R is a very sophisticated racecar. Don't listen to Internet BS from people not involved with the series or program. If you have question, ask here and Nick and I will answer anything that has been declassified. LOL. And yes there is some classified info soon to be revealed.

The ABS system is a 10 position Bosch Motorsport system. Very advanced. The front calipers and rotors are the same as used on the Ferrari 296 GT3. So there are now 2 cars in the World factory equipped with that setup. Dark Horse R is a very sophisticated racecar. Don't listen to Internet BS from people not involved with the series or program. If you have question, ask here and Nick and I will answer anything that has been declassified. LOL. And yes there is some classified info soon to be revealed.
The brakes on these cars are outstanding, they are a great all around car. My personal opinion is that they could've been developed a bit more before release, but everything performance oriented will have a few bugs in it. In GS we're fighting the new, smaller front tire, I think we finally found the answer there, but the season is half over.
The whole MC project is massive, Long is running around like a mad man herding cats, he's one of the nicest guys I've met.
The biggest problem I see is that unlike the pld FR500 class with 300HP, these have around 475 or more, so the learning curve is not as forgiving.
im sure if you turned the clock back you would fix the items that we now know are issues, but there would still be others popping up.. that's just the way it is. Right now, the biggest issue is not the cars, but drivers doing dumb moves.

.20240803_122131.jpg

Hate to say it, but the announcers haven't done much to help the series with all the mis-steps.

They would like everyone to believe you can go down to the Ford dealer and buy all the bits and pieces to make a racecar. Marketing must have given them the talking points. That being said it is awesome what Ford is doing with these cars. And more good stuff is coming.

Interesting note is the weight which is listed as over 3900 lbs. This seems quite odd and one would think it was incorrect. Steve, what does the Darkhorse R actually weight or is that info actually right?
We have to weigh 3635 minimum dry with no driver or fuel. So with fuel and Nick we are at about 3900-3950 depending on fuel we need to finish the race.

They would like everyone to believe you can go down to the Ford dealer and buy all the bits and pieces to make a racecar. Marketing must have given them the talking points. That being said it is awesome what Ford is doing with these cars. And more good stuff is coming.
Have you heard any news if the Dark Horse S is still planned?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel