The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
wd240801_01770.jpeg

S650 Darkhorse R Mustang Challenge Car #58 Build Thread Profile - S650 Mustangs

Darkhorse R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anybody running a Mustang at the SCCA Solo Nationals I hope to see you there. I will be the old bald guy wearing the #58 Mustang Challenge Nick Smither Team Shirt. Heh, I may be older than many , but I still know how to be " Styling!"

Anybody running a Mustang at the SCCA Solo Nationals I hope to see you there. I will be the old bald guy wearing the #58 Mustang Challenge Nick Smither Team Shirt. Heh, I may be older than many , but I still know how to be " Styling!"
Thanks for your support "Styling" Bill, it means a lot! Good luck at the Nationals!!

Did you guys wrapped the tail pipes around the diff ? Seen Ford issued a change on that front. I love how many grassroots technics for cooling are on the DHR's.
We did not and have no issues. See Blacksheep1 post above for real reason differentials could be overheating. Nick recommended a different insulation product than the one in the TSB, we are waiting to see if Ford will add it to the TSB.

We did not and have no issues. See Blacksheep1 post above for real reason differentials could be overheating. Nick recommended a different insulation product than the one in the TSB, we are waiting to see if Ford will add it to the TSB.
As I understand the TSB the issue is not with the diff but with the halfshafts boots leaking out because of a heat from the exhaust.

As I understand the TSB the issue is not with the diff but with the halfshafts boots leaking out because of a heat from the exhaust.
Yes but discussion was for both issues. We have had halfshaft boot issues but rear ride height isn't as slammed as some ;-)

Yes but discussion was for both issues. We have had halfshaft boot issues but rear ride height isn't as slammed as some ;-)
Are there any angle issues with the CV's or is it just the boot to contend with? What grease is being used?

Are there any angle issues with the CV's or is it just the boot to contend with? What grease is being used?
Angle on any S550 or S650 causes wear on the CV and excess heat. This was first discovered in the GT350 R/C cars as rear ride height was lowered. It is best to have 23 3/8" from the bottom of an 18" rim to the wheel arch or greater. 19" wheel 1/2" more.

Angle on any S550 or S650 causes wear on the CV and excess heat. This was first discovered in the GT350 R/C cars as rear ride height was lowered. It is best to have 23 3/8" from the bottom of an 18" rim to the wheel arch or greater. 19" wheel 1/2" more.

What grease are you using? This sounds like a similar deal to the Ligier P3 cars.

I thought that the boots are the GT4 vented boots - part # jrmm-3a331-aa.
Also the grease being used an issue as it hit’s it’s drop point ? Google search pointed to the most expensive grease for CV !!

Last edited:
I thought that the boots are the GT4 vented boots - part # jrmm-3a331-aa.
Also the grease being used an issue as it hit’s it’s drop point ? Google search pointed to the most expensive grease for CV !!
We have not had boot issues. Other teams have. I mistyped. And we haven't had diff temp issues, and if we didn't in COTA then we won't have them anywhere.

Another great weekend at COTA. WEC is certainly in another league. Shipping containers everywhere. Definitely the F1 of Sports car racing! Plus the F1 infrastructure was already being built for October. It was very hot for the second practice on Friday, and Saturdays race. We got a break for the race on Sunday, with an early start and it was just Hot!

Never raced COTA before. Like Road America, the racing line is very different to a track day, and track limits were VERY liberal, especially in the Esses. Improved my times throughout the weekend, with my best time in Race #2 on worn tires. Two solid races crossing the line 5th in both races in DHL after starting P8 in both. Sadly an unfortunate procedural penalty in race #2 cost me 10s and 3 places. I'll be back for more testing prior to next season!!

Also got a couple of unauthorized Body modifications from other competitors, fixes in progress before the next, bittersweet event at Indy in 4 weeks. How did the season move on to the finish so fast? It's been an absolute blast!!! Living the Dream!

wd240830_13947.jpegwd240830_13269.jpegwd240830_11840.jpegwd240830_10557.jpegIMG_9245.jpegwd240830_04867.jpegwd240830_02397.jpegIMG_9371.jpegIMG_9205.jpeg

Ok one more go around on the popular Nick Smiter Racing Team Polo shirts. We are again on a tight deadline so any requests must be in by Saturday 4pm. Please respond to the thread and DM me address ,with quantity, size (if in between sizes go one smaller) and if it will be shipped or pick up at our fall events. Indianapolis October 3-5, Road Atlanta October 19-20, VIR November 9-10 and Sebring December 13-15. Price is $48.50+ $10 if shipping is required.
Thanks
Steve
Support our supporters
Optimum Performance Racing, LLC
Capaldi Racing
Chin Track Days
JAS Marine
Ford Performance Racing SchoolNick Team shirt 58.jpg

Ok one more go around on the popular Nick Smiter Racing Team Polo shirts. We are again on a tight deadline so any requests must be in by Saturday 4pm. Please respond to the thread and DM me address ,with quantity, size (if in between sizes go one smaller) and if it will be shipped or pick up at our fall events. Indianapolis October 3-5, Road Atlanta October 19-20, VIR November 9-10 and Sebring December 13-15. Price is $48.50+ $10 if shipping is required.
Thanks
Steve
Support our supporters
Optimum Performance Racing, LLC
Capaldi Racing
Chin Track Days
JAS Marine
Ford Performance Racing SchoolView attachment 98463
I'd like to get one please...XL...how long do I have to decide on shipping? I may show up to the Nov VIR race

I'd like to get one please...XL...how long do I have to decide on shipping? I may show up to the Nov VIR race
I will put you in, please send name and address info by DM here. I will ask for payment when they are ordeed and if you need shipping you can add that later.
Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel