The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

cp85gt said:
I believe I found this breather a little cheaper than ebay at VACmotorsports for $97.65 plus $20.82 shipping for my location. If the Amazon $90.49 price shipped doesn't re-materialize I might go this route.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/peterson---large-remote-breather-tank--catch-can-p27.aspx

For the cost of this one I say get it now rather then waiting on the other price that most likely will not return.

The other can you posted a few days ago might not be best for the engine compartment. The can used on the S and R that we are copying are easier to clean out, fit and look better. I have the AllStar Performance breather in the trunk for the differential (close to the breather you posted), it is 12 inches long vs. 6 for this Peterson can. The other reason I would not consider that type is the exposed filter would contain oil droplets and other gasses that can be flammable in the open engine compartment. The chances of this happening would be very small and I have seen similar types used but why take that risk? In the end I like to stick with what has been proven to work on the racetrack.

All this talk has made me finally check and clean the breather, last time I check it was March of last year :eek: It is about what I expected maybe even a little more. Still very little oil in there.
CIMG3600.png

2012YellowBoss said:
For the cost of this one I say get it now rather then waiting on the other price that most likely will not return.
I agree and just ordered one. $116.75 delivered.

cp85gt thanks for the link!

2012YellowBoss said:
All this talk has made me finally check and clean the breather, last time I check it was March of last year :eek: It is about what I expected maybe even a little more. Still very little oil in there.
CIMG3600.png

Wow! Okay, forget the 'service position.' Apparently, the can was spec'd to be a closed system with lifetime capacity. :eek:

I got it from Hoerr racing products for around $90 on Amazon. It was on backorder and I should have it tomorrow.

I just ordered the breather as well. $28 dollars more than the Amazon price really isn't a dealbreaker. The other breather I listed also would not work because it had 2 different sized openings. Now I just have to locate all the fittings and hose. The all black fasteners and hose that Jimmy Pribble did has a really sharp OEM look to it and I'd like to replicate that.

cp85gt said:
I just ordered the breather as well. $28 dollars more than the Amazon price really isn't a dealbreaker. The other breather I listed also would not work because it had 2 different sized openings. Now I just have to locate all the fittings and hose. The all black fasteners and hose that Jimmy Pribble did has a really sharp OEM look to it and I'd like to replicate that.
I agree and will also go with the OEM look. I'll go one step further and replace the Peterson decal with a small Ford Racing decal I have. ;)

Got my tank today...should be on by the weekend. I'll post pics when done.

I'm going with all black hoses and fittings.

Think I'm using #10 hose.

Gary, you may want to research this but the Boss Grand Am cars this year had an intake tube that was made without the holes for the sound tube, PVC etc. The circle area was there but it was molded closed off, no caps. Hope this makes sense since I did not take a picture of it. The guys told me they get them from Roush along with the engines because they have the restrictor as per the rules in them that can not be touched. Why they can't make them and use the official restrictor, I do not know, maybe they can but it is just easier to get them with the engine.

I have never delt directly with Roush but if you do let us know what they say.

Maybe captdistraction has some pics of one?

2012YellowBoss said:
Here is what I was taking about. Anyone interested in getting one of these? I working on finding them and maybe we can do a group buy.

Uh...but then what would we talk about instead of who's janky intake cap is best? PVC from Lowe's? Crutch tips? Trojan Magnums?

I like it, but can't figure out why they would leave the vestigial nipples. Hey, we can call this the Scaramanga pipe, because it has three superfluous nipples. ;D

The Peterson can is now back on Amazon at the $90.49 price. I just placed an order. The top of the can looks slightly different than the other images posted, but I am guessing it is basically the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fluid-Systems-08-0400-Breather/dp/B002GOPHRY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

LS110 said:
The Peterson can is now back on Amazon at the $90.49 price. I just placed an order. The top of the can looks slightly different than the other images posted, but I am guessing it is basically the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fluid-Systems-08-0400-Breather/dp/B002GOPHRY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1
Great. Oh well easy come easy go.

I stopped by my local Ford dealer this morning and purchased these 5/16" x 3/4" push pins for installing the breather bracket. These don't break easily and should hold the breather just fine with the hoses in place. I purchased a second set in case one breaks or if I ever remove the breather I can use them to plug the holes. They cost $1 and are part # N807721-S. I hope to have it installed later this afternoon.

IMG_2020_zps89eb6168.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors