The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 dragoon ‘21 Mach1 HP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
It’s a day late as he passed on September 12, 2003 but my wife, Debby, and I would like to dedicate this sunflower, which she planted, to Johnny Cash. We are huge Johnny Cash fans & his music should be a pleasure to be heard by all.
RIP - RING OF FIRE

IMG_3151.jpeg

It’s a day late as he passed on September 12, 2003 but my wife, Debby, and I would like to dedicate this sunflower, which she planted, to Johnny Cash. We are huge Johnny Cash fans & his music should be a pleasure to be heard by all.
RIP - RING OF FIRE

View attachment 89790
Too cool! Heard him singing. I don't like covers but his Hurt was so much better than NIN! It was meant for him.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Track season is at a close for us. Great year meeting other TMO members at the track. 13 events and I feel good about what I’ve learned about the mach1 and myself. Still a lot to absorb & learn as I am, like other track enthusiasts, trying to get smoother and improve my pace. Bittersweet as always this time of year to hibernate the sport cars. Brought home the NSX from our satellite garage to store here at our place. She’ll be in the ATC hauler next to the garage while dragoon 369 gets the preferential treatment within the garage. Took some pics of both cars together on the drive and boy howdy, there’s a little difference between the two.

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3237.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
NASA Great Lakes is a extremely solid group, often considered one of the best Regions in the US, and you will need to go through the 4 levels of HPDE if you want to get a Time Trials license. This process is not the same for everyone, and you may skip a level or two depending on all of your past experience. It is quite good to go through some of their training as it is one of the more solid and safe programs out there. Lots of good info and you get to see how they operate within the Region ( like everything in life there are small differences with each). Have fun and you will find things get even more addictive when you are running with folks in your experience level. Hope to see you at the track, even though I am just an Ex-Mach 1 owner , ha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
NASA Great Lakes is a extremely solid group, often considered one of the best Regions in the US, and you will need to go through the 4 levels of HPDE if you want to get a Time Trials license. This process is not the same for everyone, and you may skip a level or two depending on all of your past experience. It is quite good to go through some of their training as it is one of the more solid and safe programs out there. Lots of good info and you get to see how they operate within the Region ( like everything in life there are small differences with each). Have fun and you will find things get even more addictive when you are running with folks in your experience level. Hope to see you at the track, even though I am just an Ex-Mach 1 owner , ha.
Thanks Bill as the membership and track time information with NASA came from being here on TMO. I‘m grateful to @Vettel-ish as he & I had a conversation at Road America last year and he sparked my interest in NASA because of their vetting process in the HPDE category. Like you stated, I’ll be with like experienced folks at my level which is way way better as just going to the tracks with this organization or that organization that can have some hooliganism out there. I’m not throwing blame out there but when you get 6 “buddies” (not buddies of mine) in my group that want to play games, draft each other and all pass with just 1 point by and get away with it, I needed some better structure. As you and vettel-ish have said, I start out in HPDE1 with an instructor, get graded and move along to what NASA thinks I’m capable of. Thanks again Bill & hopefully one day, our paths will meet !!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Just a clarification on my last post, when I said “this organization or that organization”, I did not infer anything bad towards these organizations. It’s just how we have been doing track days since we started in 2017 and it has worked out ok but lately, there has been some issues with the skill level in the intermediate group no matter who I pay my money to. I’m sure these organizations due their best to “place” customers in the appropriate groups with their own “vetting” process. Some use past registrations with them or number of times they have been at a track with self reporting but sometimes to fill groups, one level of skill gets mixed with another. They try to readjust during the event by moving people in or out of groups but it’s only then upon someone complaining that it happens.
We’ll still use some of these organizations to get track time but very picky on who we send our money to.
One example I was involved with and kinda made me rethink our track time with these organizations, a novice in a very high horsepower car impressed his instructor that he was bumped up to ”intermediate “ group and on his very first session (no instructor), stuffed me on a late apex corner by passing on my inside right. He was literally 2” from my door handle and I went wide left, missed my turn out and ended with 2 wheels in the grass. Another car behind me had this on his GoPro & we approached management, showed the video and had a drivers meeting about passing and there’s no passing in turns in the intermediate group. He did not get singled out or even a visit in the paddock from management. His car group of about 12 members that were there as guests gave him a “best improved driver” trophy at the end of the event. He later came to my trailer while I was loading my car, avoiding me and told my paddock queen “it was no big deal what I did to your husband, no body got hurt so what’s the big deal”.
So we’re rethinking who and how we spend out track dollars with and NASA seems to be the ticket.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
He later came to my trailer while I was loading my car, avoiding me and told my paddock queen “it was no big deal what I did to your husband, no body got hurt so what’s the big deal”.
Those problems tend to "resolve themselves" over time; hopefully nobody gets hurt during that process. Give people like that a wide berth. Sucks you have to limit your options and take care because of someone else's inadequacies.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just a clarification on my last post, when I said “this organization or that organization”, I did not infer anything bad towards these organizations. It’s just how we have been doing track days since we started in 2017 and it has worked out ok but lately, there has been some issues with the skill level in the intermediate group no matter who I pay my money to. I’m sure these organizations due their best to “place” customers in the appropriate groups with their own “vetting” process. Some use past registrations with them or number of times they have been at a track with self reporting but sometimes to fill groups, one level of skill gets mixed with another. They try to readjust during the event by moving people in or out of groups but it’s only then upon someone complaining that it happens.
We’ll still use some of these organizations to get track time but very picky on who we send our money to.
One example I was involved with and kinda made me rethink our track time with these organizations, a novice in a very high horsepower car impressed his instructor that he was bumped up to ”intermediate “ group and on his very first session (no instructor), stuffed me on a late apex corner by passing on my inside right. He was literally 2” from my door handle and I went wide left, missed my turn out and ended with 2 wheels in the grass. Another car behind me had this on his GoPro & we approached management, showed the video and had a drivers meeting about passing and there’s no passing in turns in the intermediate group. He did not get singled out or even a visit in the paddock from management. His car group of about 12 members that were there as guests gave him a “best improved driver” trophy at the end of the event. He later came to my trailer while I was loading my car, avoiding me and told my paddock queen “it was no big deal what I did to your husband, no body got hurt so what’s the big deal”.
So we’re rethinking who and how we spend out track dollars with and NASA seems to be the ticket.
This behavior and attitude will not be tolerated at NASA events. The action on track could be forgiven if the driver owned up to it and was reprimanded by the chief instructor. Tha fact that the organizers did not act, and the attitude the driver had with your wife are two big reasons not to drive with them again. Chin is another group that will not tolerate this kind of stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors