The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
You're not Fabman for no reason..........You'll find a way.....Good Luck!!!
I’m Fabman….not Mechanic man….I detest wrenching.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Now I’m wondering if I can even pull the trans and leave the bell housing….will the hydraulic line for the throw out bearing allow that?
There’s a plastic coupler to disconnect the slave cylinder - right where the hydraulic line goes into the bell housing. Small metal clip that has to be picked out, and then it will release. I removed the hard line from an old slave cylinder and capped the threaded end of it. As soon as I disconnect the hydraulic line, I use the capped hard line to keep the system from gravity draining the master and reservoir.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There’s a plastic coupler to disconnect the slave cylinder - right where the hydraulic line goes into the bell housing. Small metal clip that has to be picked out, and then it will release. I removed the hard line from an old slave cylinder and capped the threaded end of it. As soon as I disconnect the hydraulic line, I use the capped hard line to keep the system from gravity draining the master and reservoir.
But will it come out with the trans and clear the bellhousing?
it sticks through a hole somewhere…

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes, the bellhousing is slotted to allow the hard line to pass through.

View attachment 88122
Every time this thing has come out we took the motor and trans together with the front suspension.
I was hoping to not go through all that again. Now if I can just reach all the bolts.....stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, that's wasn't as bad as I feared it might be.....big thanks to @Frank.JD.Perez and my son Richard for their help.

Had one stubborn bolt and needed to hack some more on the tunnel to fit the newest version of the s1sequential shifter but everything went together pretty smooth all things considered.

Taking a quick break now, and deciding how much more I want to do today....which is none but I don't have much time before the race in 2 weeks so....

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9a.jpg9b.jpg9c.jpg9d.jpg

9e.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Master hacker Jr. in action.....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And there it is. It runs and everything.

Hopefully it also shifts.....stay tuned.

IMG_8250.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
And there it is. It runs and everything.

Hopefully it also shifts.....stay tuned.
Great progress to the finish line. Hope all goes well & it gets to the track with awesome result. You got some heavy duty work done in your rear view now. I’m in my light work mode to get the oil/filter changed, brake pad & fluid change and all cleaned up before our next track days which are in 12 days. Keep us posted there @Fabman !!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Great progress to the finish line. Hope all goes well & it gets to the track with awesome result. You got some heavy duty work done in your rear view now. I’m in my light work mode to get the oil/filter changed, brake pad & fluid change and all cleaned up before our next track days which are in 12 days. Keep us posted there @Fabman !!
Now I get to mess with suspension, that’s my strong suit.
Wish me luck!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Does your S1 have any gear grinding or hard shifting when the transmission is cold or low RPM? I'm having an issue only with 2nd gear after first start up, but no issue once on track. Didn't have any grinding before installation, but maybe I have a synchronizer going out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Does your S1 have any gear grinding or hard shifting when the transmission is cold or low RPM? I'm having an issue only with 2nd gear after first start up, but no issue once on track. Didn't have any grinding before installation, but maybe I have a synchronizer going out.
Sounds more like a transmission problem.
Amsoil ATF helps a ton with cold shifting and high RPM shifting.
I've done back to back with the Tremec Fluid and its night and day.
Truly magic sauce.

I like the squeezie bags, super easy to squish into the side of the trans without having to rig up hoses and pumps and so forth.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And there it is in the light of day!
Needs a bath tho...

363362783_648356147259839_5545636253938161805_n.jpg363391100_648356110593176_5463779329732975876_n.jpg365834737_648356077259846_8336027370341501997_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors