The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fire up the DVR - TCM channel 2/2/24

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
TCM is showing a bunch of old racing-related movies during the day tomorrow. All times Eastern. IIRC, the first few have early Indy 500 footage, and The Crowd Roars has a bunch of cameos from Indy 500 drivers of the time. The Racing Scene is a documentary of Garner's racing team's exploits.

7:15 Speed (1936) Jimmy Stewart
8:30 The Crowd Roars (1936) James Cagney
10:00 The Big Wheel (1949) Mickey Rooney
12:00 To Please a Lady (1950) Clark Gable
2:00 Fireball 500 (1966) Frankie Avalon
4:00 Speedway (1968) Elvis Presley, Nancy Sinatra, Bill Bixby
6:00 The Racing Scene (1970) James Garner with lots of good guest appearances

The Internet Car Movie Database at https://www.imcdb.org/ can be used as a spotter's guide for the cars in the movies.

James Garner is my Man.........Good lookin out Sauerkraut....;).........What's a DVR??????........old school here.............I still have a VCR hooked up.......I know,,,,,,,,,,,shoot me..............

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
i recorded The Big Wheel, and got a bonus of coverage of the 1957 Nassau Speed Weeks races. Carroll Shelby in his signature striped racing overalls, Masten Gregory, Stirling Moss, and others. Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsche 356 and RS Spyders, Corvette SR-2, Lotus XI, and a bunch of specials.

Shout-out to Denise McCluggage who appeared in the coverage - way before Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James, Denise McCluggage was racing in both Ladies (aka in those days as Powder-Puff) classes and with the guys. The newsreel shows her winning the Ladies race that year (actually that year there were two and she won both), and being congratulated afterward by Jim Kimberly (of Kimberly-Clark / Kleenex fame, and also an accomplished amateur racer and early SCCA President & BOD member). She also finished 9th of 51 cars in the headliner Memorial Trophy Race driving a Porsche RS Spyder, beating Dick "The Flying Dentist" Thompson, who rounded out the top 10. Thompson is known for his close association with Corvette racing, but he also had a win at Le Mans in an AC/Shelby Daytona Coupe. Getting back to the Nassua Memorial Trophy Race, the highest-placed RS Spyder in the race was driven by Ricardo Rodriguez to 4th; his brother Pedro wasn't entered that year but would place 2nd driving a Ferrari 250 TestaRossa the following year. Los Hermanos Rodriguez may sound familiar to you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autódromo_Hermanos_Rodríguez

TMO Supporting Vendors