The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help Me Choose, Mustang 12-13 Boss 302 or 16-20 GT Shelby 350?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Everybody,

Here it goes. So about twelve years ago I wanted to buy a 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302. Never got it. Then the Shelby GT 350 came out in 2016. Great press. Car sounded awesome. I want car to be mostly for street and for some road course work. I am beginner, intermediate driver. I know that objectively the GT 350 is a "better car". I know two people who have a 2017 another guy with a 2020 GT 350. All three of these individuals have had engine issues. Crazy. This makes me nervous. Am I better off getting the Boss 302?

Shelby GT350 / Pros: better brakes, maybe sound, handling, steering feel? USA made engine, tranny, tremec made in Mexico.
Cons: "delicate engine, engine issues, tram lining?, cost.
Boss 302 / Pros: price, best handling solid axle mustang.
Cons: 82 Getrag transmssion, made in China, engine made in Canada, wish it was made in USA.
What would you guys do? Ger.

One more thing, some of the Boss are almost half the price of the Shelby GT350. Wow.

Bay Area
I have both, get what makes you happy.

I purchased my 2016 GT350 with a new replacement engine.

Delicate ENGINE- HAHA! I have about 100 track days on this engine and run it to redline more often than I like to admit but only for a short time. I change fluids every other track day. The GT350 engine is not designed to jump in and drive it to work or the store. That will cause issues. Its not a street car engine. You must warm it up properly and it loves living in higher RPMs. My oil reports tell me its very healthy and happy.

My issues to date - Alternator, cracked header, throw out bearing.

Tram lining. - can be corrected easily with different tires and alignment. When I do drive it on the street with my track or street tires there is zero tram lining. When I first purchased it, there was plenty of tram lining to keep me on my toes.

Boss- Badassery sound, great looks, will age gracefully.
It can be built to keep up with anything out there. Not a Boss but look @Fabman build. He has a S197 that will destroy most cars on the track.
Boss 302 roadrunner engine.Might possibly be one of the best built. There are tons of Boss 302s out there with over 100K miles and still going strong.
Transmission - Its fine, get the MGW shifter and dont try to shift from 1st - 2nd at 7400 rpms. My 1st Boss had 44K miles on it and the only thing I did was install the MGW. My current Boss still has the stock shifter and while its fine as long as I'm not shifting at 7400 RPM, there is no issue.

From my personal experience, I'd much rather drive the Boss on the street. The GT350 is fun but the Boss is just a more fun street car, IMHO. The bottom end TQ on the streets can put an ear to ear smile on your face.

I hope that helps and welcome to TMO

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have also owned both a 2012 Boss and a 2019GT350r. I bought both new and still have the Boss. The vibration issues with the 350 started showing up after 3k miles. The nut holding them output shaft yoke came loose and had to be loctited and torqued. The brakes and suspension were rock stars. The Boss soldiers on with the stock MT82. The shifter and stock clutch were yanked out early and replaced with MGW and McLeod parts.
Which would I choose? Well, I did choose the Boss. For seat of the pants fun, the Boss was my choice.

Owned a Kona Blue 2012 Boss then a 2013 Laguna Seca (black). Then took delivery of my 2020 GT350R alongside the 2013 LS. I adored my Bosses more than just about anything. But . . . I sold the LS when I realized I was always grabbing the key for the 350R instead of the LS. The Boss is an amazing car hampered by a substandard transmission (I did all of the upgrades to help shifting and the best thing was the McLeod RST). The Roadrunner engine is almost as rowdy as the Voodoo 350 and with some not terribly expensive upgrades (better shocks, brake pads, LCAs, etc), the Boss is an incredible high performance machine. I still want another Boss and if I do get one the very first thing I will do is add a Tremec, preferably a TR3160 from a GT350. And the Bosses are incredible value in the 30-45k range. A good 2020 GT350R is a lot more money.

Either way, you will not be disappointed.

TMO Supporting Vendors