The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 help/suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
20 rear 21 front cold on nitrogen gets me to 30 psi hot almost every time.
(my tire/rim sizes on my car with me driving…..your mileage may vary.)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The Hoosier official tire pressures are a little bit nuts for me. Totally agree with the above with 32 hot as the max pressure I would shoot for. If you get over 35psi then you know your going to go slow.
My ideal hot psi is 32F/30R for the R7's.
Dunlop slicks like 30F/28R

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The Hoosier official tire pressures are a little bit nuts for me. Totally agree with the above with 32 hot as the max pressure I would shoot for. If you get over 35psi then you know your going to go slow.
My ideal hot psi is 32F/30R for the R7's.
Dunlop slicks like 30F/28R
Sounds like we’re all within a couple pounds….I think that’s a fair target.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This just makes me realize how overinflated I actually was, lol.
I'd start at the high end and bleed down. I have a cambered rear and an SLA with a lot of camber gain so I run my tires a little on the soft side.
A pyrometer will tell the story or if you don't have one the old shoe polish trick will get you in the ball park.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay I'm old school, I guess the cool kids these days use Chalk.
Same idea.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Delaware
NASA GL makes us run a Toyp spec tire. I don't have my comp license yet but was reading the rules yesterday. Hoping my car will be a ST3
The nasa st class allows you to run any tire you choose. The tire and modifications factor in to your overall multiplier which determines the hp/wt in the class. I just went through all this so feel free to message me

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Holy cow that is light. This is your s197 race car? Awesome.
Yeah, this caught my eye as well. @Vettel-ish , I need to learn from your ways. Haven’t weighed mine yet since the full-cage and interior was stripped, but I’ll be happy with sub-3500.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not even close here....

287592520_392590872836369_5229719059185924184_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
R7 26 cold 32 hot for me on my set up. 3080 lbs car with aero.

See if you can get your hands one some Pirelli take offs. They are SUPER legit and I prefer them over the R7.

They don't last as long but man...sticky icky
Does it have mufflers? I don't know where else I could find 250# to take off my race car, my mufflers aren't light, but they make sound at Laguna Seca.
Carbon body parts are out of my budget....I look at this thing top to bottom and don't know where I could get a significant amount of weight out of it without getting a 6000.00 set of wheels...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors