The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Which Color Wheel Would You Prefer

• Gloss Black

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Flat Graphite

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I pulled my stock wheel and tested all three lug nuts I have. I think we're fine with the Dorman lug nuts. Below are the different lug nuts on the different wheels in turns before torquing. Of note the Dorman do not have as large of a contact area as the stock lugs but a lot more than the tuner lugs I have. Both the tuner and Dorman nuts are the same height.

Stock Wheel 19x11
Stock: 11.00
Dorman: 11+
Tuner: 10+

N4SM Wheel 19x11

So the threads were almost identical regardless of which wheel and lug nut I used. Obviously you can't see the studs with the stock lug nuts. Results might be slightly different with the N4SM 19x11.5 R spec rear wheels.

Tuner bottom left and Dorman bottom right:

E52ACEA3-59FB-4BD7-B781-3DD41598BCBF_zpsshlqem7k.jpg

71482397-9789-4A6E-B9C0-F1F066D4A958_zpsmkdovhuf.jpg

Austin
VoodooBOSS said:
I pulled my stock wheel and tested all three lug nuts I have. I think we're fine with the Dorman lug nuts. Below are the different lug nuts on the different wheels in turns before torquing. Of note the Dorman do not have as large of a contact area as the stock lugs but a lot more than the tuner lugs I have. Both the tuner and Dorman nuts are the same height.

Stock Wheel 19x11
Stock: 11.00

N4SM Wheel 19x11

So the threads were almost identical regardless of which wheel and lug nut I used. Obviously you can't see the studs with the stock lug nuts. Results might be slightly different with the N4SM 19x11.5 R spec rear wheels.

71482397-9789-4A6E-B9C0-F1F066D4A958_zpsmkdovhuf.jpg

So it looks like with the R-spec wheels, I'm actually getting a little more thread contact than with the OEM wheels. With the R-spec, there's only about 1 1/2 threads visible with the nut fully torqued. Thanks for the pics. I wasn't looking forward to swapping out wheels today since it's 100+ degree down here.

Re: Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Sean said:
What do you guys recommend using to clean the wheels with? Would something like Sonax be too harsh for the finish?

I've had good results with Adam's general purpose cleaner on my previous rims. Ordered a wheel cleaning rotating brush that connect to your water hose called Brush Hero. Don't know how well it will work, we shall see.

My #1 tool is my master blaster air dryer that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. It blows and dries with heat all of the water out of lugs, spokes, tire lip, you name it in seconds. Don't know what I ever did without it.

@VoodooBOSS thank you for the information sir !

@ChopSui awesome news thank you for that.

@Sean I just use elbow grease and a sponge to clean them when washing the car.

Side note: This fire we have here in So Cal sucks its been 100 to 105 this weekend, air quality is crap, ash yep its been annoying as hell.

ChopSui said:
Well I got the socket today, but unfortunately, it does not fit the lug holes even with the sleeve removed. It is the 13/16 and it fits the lug nuts, it's just about .5mm or so too big for the holes. I tried front and rear wheels just to be sure. :(

If there is enough meat on the socket you could have a machinist machine it down to a size that fits the hole. We have done that many times for our vintage cars using American, Vintage or Phil Schmidt wheels. I've been following this thread along and it was the lug issue that got my attention. I would prefer to use the OEM as the contact area on it is much larger than anything else available. For the street no big deal but would be comforting for the track to have the larger area. Maybe I'm over thinking this...lol :-\

They look high quality. Mind PM'ing me price (unless you want to post it here)? Did/are you getting longer studs? It already seemed like there wasn't an excess of threads with these wheels. Are you going 305 all around? I'm looking forward to seeing them on your car as well as your impressions with everything. Ideally, I'd like to go with a square setup as well. Thanks Rick.
VoodooBOSS said:
I received my custom 25mm wheel spacers from Motorsport Tech today and with the extra machining they came in at 1.7 lbs each. So my front 19x11 wheels will be 26.1 lbs each with the spacers. I've been on vacation and haven't gotten my tires mounted yet but I'll work on that this weekend.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

DCB94FB0-80F7-49C0-B14F-EF5FF13793E6_zps5wmjvt7d.jpg

stang302 said:
They look high quality. Mind PM'ing me price (unless you want to post it here)? Did/are you getting longer studs? It already seemed like there wasn't an excess of threads with these wheels. Are you going 305 all around? I'm looking forward to seeing them on your car as well as your impressions with everything. Ideally, I'd like to go with a square setup as well. Thanks Rick.
The price is on their website. They cost $100 plus $20 for the extra machining to lighten them for $120. They offer free shipping a few times a year and I caught their sale over Independence Day weekend.

Yes I'm using 19x11 square with 305/30/19 PSC2's. The 25mm spacers should be perfect and I have already installed longer ARP wheel studs.

2F3E7526-9A98-43F4-BD8B-02BA777A01F4_zpsjedstgho.jpg

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your car once you get time to mount the tires. Do you have any track time planned for trying out your new setup, as I'm interested to hear how much of a difference the sport cup 2's and square setup make? And if you happen to get a chance while putting the wheels on, could you measure how far the studs extend from the seat on the front and back? Thanks again.
VoodooBOSS said:
The price is on their website. They cost $100 plus $20 for the extra machining to lighten them for $120. They offer free shipping a few times a year and I caught their sale over Independence Day weekend.

Yes I'm using 19x11 square with 305/30/19 PSC2's. The 25mm spacers should be perfect and I have already installed longer ARP wheel studs.

stang302 said:
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your car once you get time to mount the tires. Do you have any track time planned for trying out your new setup, as I'm interested to hear how much of a difference the sport cup 2's and square setup make? And if you happen to get a chance while putting the wheels on, could you measure how far the studs extend from the seat on the front and back? Thanks again.

It depends what length studs you are talking about? Stock gt350 has 1 3/8" studs from the brake rotor face and the R has 3" on the front. The rear stud length is 1 1/4" from the rotor face and 2" for the R. The wheel flange is 3/8" thick on the R-spec and Rick said his 19 X 11" 50 offset was closer to 7/16".

Ok thanks. I was asking about Ricks exact setup with ARP studs, his wheels, and the front spacers. But I think you gave me enough info that I can make a good enough guess.
Moto said:
It depends what length studs you are talking about? Stock gt350 has 1 3/8" studs from the brake rotor face and the R has 3" on the front. The rear stud length is 1 1/4" from the rotor face and 2" for the R. The wheel flange is 3/8" thick on the R-spec and Rick said his 19 X 11" 50 offset was closer to 7/16".

TMO Supporting Vendors