The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil pressure dropping to critical levels under hard braking (Headscratcher)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW - I ran the GT500 oil pan and pump setup with a remote filter housing (improved Racing with a true 12an fittings) and the FP350S oil cooler - my dry system require 15 qt to fill (1qt overfill per my builders recommendation) and oil changes were 12 quarts after that

I need to double check...I may have given the wrong part number...I thought the inlet size was -16AN (I know they are huge! I had to get two reducers down to -12AN). Running a WIX Racing oil filter.

Well, that just sucks! I just bought this oil cooler and now it's coming up as 'discontinued' ?? Even the larger ones are all -10AN sized.....
Yes they had some with -16 fittings brazed in place instead or the -10ORB adapters.

Yes they had some with -16 fittings brazed in place instead or the -10ORB adapters.
That's the one that I have! There is a 3" difference in the body (core?) width. Does that mean that the internal tube is larger for the -16AN fitting? That's what I'm thinking.....

I had originally tried ordering from Setrab but got put on their backburner for months. Ended up getting a refund with zero explanation. That led me to the Earl's unit.....

Update from Labor Day racing....

Screenshot 2024-09-04 070553.png

Seems to be much better.....but, still happening a little and only in right hand turns under braking. Could this be a 'weak point' in the GT500 oil pan baffling system? At least it's not dropping to 10-15psi like it was before.....

Screenshot 2024-09-04 090359.png
Full data back up to the screenshot above.... (no laughing at my times!) This is running the OEM GT/PP radiator. Watson radiator got a hole poked in it from the Watkins Glen crash....

Man the channels report really got improved in RS3 looking at your data above.

How much oil are you filling, again? Glad you are seeing some improvement, maybe more oil, if it's not a problem.

View attachment 98296
Full data back up to the screenshot above.... (no laughing at my times!) This is running the OEM GT/PP radiator. Watson radiator got a hole poked in it from the Watkins Glen crash....
Man you aren't really pulling that much negative g. Would fill to top hash on dipstick. I just did an oil change on mine and I filled to half mark on the stick and it took 13.5 quarts with my Setrab 960 and a FL1A size Wix filter.

Man the channels report really got improved in RS3 looking at your data above.

How much oil are you filling, again? Glad you are seeing some improvement, maybe more oil, if it's not a problem.
Yeah, between how much is running around in the ECU and how much gets spit out to the data logger is crazy...I can't imagine how much a pro team pulls!!

I'm filling approx 12.5-13 quarts... I fill till it's at the top range hole on the stick.

Man you aren't really pulling that much negative g. Would fill to top hash on dipstick. I just did an oil change on mine and I filled to half mark on the stick and it took 13.5 quarts with my Setrab 960 and a FL1A size Wix filter.
This is what perplexes me. Same oil filter, cooler may be a bit smaller but it takes almost a complete quart...next time the oil pan is off, I'm taking all kinds of pictures of the inside....I shouldn't 'need' to go FP350 pan.....should I ? Maybe I'll get a working check valve and plumb the Accusump back in..... or fill a little over the top hole?

Let me tell you about how outstanding accusumps are. Back in the Boss 302 days we cut an oil line in the bus stop at Daytona. ( because.. God forbid they ever clean that portion of the track, it also cost us a win back in 2021) anyway, we cut the line, the driver drove out of it, around on the banking all at race speed before all the alarms went off, he clicked it, and rolled down pit road. Ran the data, no significant loss of oil pressure while under load. It def saved us an engine change.

If you need any specific feature pics of the inside of the 2020-2022 GT500 pan, I have mine in a box in the basement.
That would be awesome if you could!

I'm in Silver Spring...maybe you're not too far? I'll be going to Summit Point (again) this weekend...Shenandoah w/SCCA (HPDE/TT)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel