The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pre Bleed throw out bearing.. good or bad idea, I'm not sure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I had to replace my throw out bearing for the second time and remembered how hard it was to bleed it from the first time. This time I decided to "pre bleed" it.
I used a beaker with brake fluid in it, stuck the pipe fitting in it, pumped the TOB until all the air bubbles stopped. Installed it in the bell housing being careful not to squeeze it or tip the pipe end downward to keep the fluid in. Installed the plastic interconnect and used the plug that came with the new clutch like to plug the line while I installed the transmission.
Now the down side is, the TOB is full of fluid and needs to bleed out while installing. My plug popped off and fluid ran down the side of the tranny and onto the floor.
The upside is, I put vacuum on it for a while and pumped the clutch a few times and it was good to go.
There's always trade offs, Dang it.IMG_20230127_190530191.jpgIMG_20230127_191243590_HDR.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
You are on the right track, but didn't quite get to the finish line. Attach the braided stainless clutch line to the fitting before sliding the transmission into place. Fish the clutch line up from the bottom as the trans gets close before you preload the throw out bearing and connect the top. Then slide the trans in with no mess.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
You are on the right track, but didn't quite get to the finish line. Attach the braided stainless clutch line to the fitting before sliding the transmission into place. Fish the clutch line up from the bottom as the trans gets close before you preload the throw out bearing and connect the top. Then slide the trans in with no mess.
Agreed, only found this out after cursing in multiple languages trying to get those annoying clips in, as with longtubes, the body shell, and the transmission, there's not much room to wiggle that on. So much easier by comparison to fish that line back up from the top of the engine bay.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
Nice!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I figured that one out while installing the second transmission last year. The first one I did what you did and squirted fluid all over as the tob preloaded.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
Agreed, only found this out after cursing in multiple languages trying to get those annoying clips in, as with longtubes, the body shell, and the transmission, there's not much room to wiggle that on. So much easier by comparison to fish that line back up from the top of the engine bay.
The wire clips are quick attach. Preinstall the clips, press the line in until it snaps. done!
I tried installing the hose then the clips in the beginning of the first time, then figured out they are quick-tach.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
The wire clips are quick attach. Preinstall the clips, press the line in until it snaps. done!
I tried installing the hose then the clips in the beginning of the first time, then figured out they are quick-tach.
:oops:
Times like these I wish I had read the instruction manual.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel