The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Tucson302 said:
Put the new motor on a Mustang Dynamometer yesterday, best pull was 443 HP and 341 Torque I think once the motor gets fully broken in those will improve

Like I said, on a Dynojet (what most of us use) that will probably be 475-485whp. Your power curve is insane.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

ArizonaBOSS said:
Like I said, on a Dynojet (what most of us use) that will probably be 475-485whp. Your power curve is insane.

Yeah I should of uploaded that to BMO last night but got busy with honey do list. Will do it tonight, I tried earlier from work and of course the .gov web watchers block damn near everything!

Tucson302 said:
Yeah I should of uploaded that to BMO last night but got busy with honey do list. Will do it tonight, I tried earlier from work and of course the .gov web watchers block damn near everything!
Sorry to wander away from the topic..
Could'nt agree more.
The Gov. has to waste the TAX PAYERS money somewhere. More than likey the company they use to handle the big brother project is a friend of a friend of a friend of the family :eek:.
I to have the same problem as you speak. No youtube / Facebook and all web sites are are at there discretion.
The power of Gov. Office!
Now back to the topic.
I have been tossing around installing Kooks super street headers. I have had a set in my garage for over a year. I bought them with a BMO group sale I think. Its been so long. Just need to save some cash for the install. I cant do it and it kills me to have to farm it out. But every thing I read is telling to get them installed. Have cost come down any these days. Last year they were looking to get around the $700 mark for the work. Thats alot of cash and the wife will not take this good no matter how I try and explain it to her. Maybe she's a Goverment spy....Lol

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

superhero said:
im located in NJ and have a set of Kooks in my garage for 2 years now. where did you send your headers to be coated and what kind of cost is it to have them done. Is it well worth the money for the coating.

SuperHero:

Found a great deal last November, (2014), on my set of Kooks Super Street Headers. It was from Maryland Speed Shop.com. They had a special on the set that included a coating of your choice. Once I placed the order, Kooks made the headers and sent them to AirBorn Coating, North Carolina.

Here is a link:

http://www.jetcoat.com/alumcerm.html

These guys have been around for a long time and they did an excellent job. Check them out and Yes, IMO, it is well worth the investment.

I used the aluminum Silver Ceramic Coating and they were coated inside and out. in addition to the heat management benefits, they look great and should stay that way for years to come.

Also, I was surprised how rusty the OEM stainless steel headers were when removed for the Kooks install.

Good luck with your research,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
SuperHero:

Found a great deal last November, (2014), on my set of Kooks Super Street Headers. It was from Maryland Speed Shop.com. They had a special on the set that included a coating of your choice. Once I placed the order, Kooks made the headers and sent them to AirBorn Coating, North Carolina.

Here is a link:

http://www.jetcoat.com/alumcerm.html

These guys have been around for a long time and they did an excellent job. Check them out and Yes, IMO, it is well worth the investment.

I used the aluminum Silver Ceramic Coating and they were coated inside and out. in addition to the heat management benefits, they look great and should stay that way for years to come.

Also, I was surprised how rusty the OEM stainless steel headers were when removed for the Kooks install.

Good luck with your research,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Dave, if you don't mind me asking how much did the ceramic coating cost you?

I also got in my arp head studs :D

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Sean said:
Dave, if you don't mind me asking how much did the ceramic coating cost you?

I also got in my arp head studs :D

Sean:

Maryland Speed Shop ran a special sale on Kooks, they discounted the headers and included the coating for a little less than $700. They should run $250 - $450 Shorties v. LTH and the type of coatings, etc.

You can check AirBorn Coatings and Jet Hot Coatings. In my case Kooks and AirBorn have a good relationship and both have North Carolina operations.

Sorry I don't have an exact price as it was a package deal.
Dave
2HP

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Black Boss said:
Removed the Intake Manifold to get to the Transmission Breather:

IMG_1160_zpsntt5sard.jpg

Although the Breather is visible, I also had to remove the Rear Trans mount and lower the K-Member and Engine about an inch to get access:

IMG_1158_zpss0qol1w9.jpg

Pulled the Breather and compared the old version (on the right) to the new:

IMG_1162_zpskg3cgjy6.jpg

The bad news is that the old version was a push fit into a 8mm hole, the new is 10mm, so the upgrade requires the Trans to be dropped to drill an enlarged hole....

Have used Permatex to re-install the old breather pipe in the top of the Trans and will run a tube to a breather on the firewall....

Ran at the track yesterday, and no issues with the modified Breather. However I don't want to rely on a 1/4" plastic push fitting with Permatex with all the mass of the breather pipe surviving long term, so today I pulled the Transmission:

IMG_1170_zpsckqczfty.jpg

Will pull out the plastic fitting and drill and tap for a NPT hose fitting:

IMG_1171_zpsaa3bmje9.jpg

Black Boss said:
Drilled and tapped the breather hole in the Trans. Put a NPT fitting and 90 degree elbow in and re-installed the Trans, Driveshaft and H-pipe etc.

IMG_1172_zpssh01laea.jpg
You retired guys get to have all the fun!

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

NFSBOSS said:
You retired guys get to have all the fun!

Haha,
Dropping and re-installing the Trans with solid engine mounts and Kooks LT Headers is not fun :(
Anyone who does this without a lift has a lot of patience and fantastic skills ;) Not a job I want to repeat anytime soon. Would rather install headers.....
Still at least I have the time 8)

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york

Swiss Boss said:
How's the C&R radiator fitment/quality? Improvement over stock?
It's one on top of my list to replace my broken one.

Thanks

Quality is top notch,very well made!It slid right in just had to trim the top rad hose. Didnt test on track yet,only got stuck in traffic with the air on and stayed around 178ish. Let you guys know after a track day,prob mid too late Aug

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Installed a set of Kooks Super Sport Headers to complete my exhaust system upgrades. Note: I wanted to keep my OEM PCM tunes, including TracKey. The shorties allow use of OEM Catalytic Converters and No CEL's. My Boss 302 engine performance upgrades include: Exhaust side, Kooks Super Sport Headers, MagnaFlow 3.0" Cat-Back system with X-Pipe and Street/Comp AB Mufflers, Kooks Gen II Boss Side Pipes. Intake side, Airaid CF PJ Edition CAI, (Sound Tube delete and Peterson CJ CV System), Ford Racing 84.5mm TB.

Here is a pic of the cylinder head exhaust ports, after clean up:

20150715_231413_zpshujpqaho.jpg

Left Side header installed, Note: Silver Ceramic Coating applied by AirBorn Coatings, (Internal and externally coated):

20150716_010337_zpslougr2oj.jpg

I removed the K-Member to ease the header install, and applied additional silver self-adhesive heat reflective tape to all wiring harness, A/C hoses and the header side only of the starter assembly.

Heat cycled engine twice then re-checked torque of 10 header flange bolts. I found no bolts that required a re-torque, so I buttoned her up. Now, after a few hundred miles I have No exhaust leaks.

Enjoy your Boss,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Black Boss said:
Drilled and tapped the breather hole in the Trans. Put a NPT fitting and 90 degree elbow in and re-installed the Trans, Driveshaft and H-pipe etc.

IMG_1172_zpssh01laea.jpg

Nice work. When completed can you post a pic of the under-hood side of your new MT-82 trans vent system?

Thanks so much,
Dave
302 HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel