The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Black Boss said:
but now need to decide whether to prep a race car......
Come on, you've already decided. ;) Don't let Gary see this @cloud9

Black Boss said:
Left it at home and went to MMP for their 4 day licensing program. Ran a 2015 GT on day 1 -- very impressive even on street tires, then their modified Boss on day 2, and for the NASA Race weekend yesterday and today.

What a blast! Will post photos and more details later, but now need to decide whether to prep a race car......

Maybe you can buy one of the MMP cars at the end of the season, not sure they will be needing them next year unless some kind of deal is made between now and the end of the season for a new lease on the track.
Just a thought, who knows. MMP is a great place and the BTA was awesome, sad to see it end.

Black Boss said:
Left it at home and went to MMP for their 4 day licensing program. Ran a 2015 GT on day 1 -- very impressive even on street tires, then their modified Boss on day 2, and for the NASA Race weekend yesterday and today.

What a blast! Will post photos and more details later, but now need to decide whether to prep a race car......
Too late...and too late since I already ordered the GT350. Sounds like a blast Nick and something I might want to try some time!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

superhero said:
looking good 302HP. Are those kooks side pipes sticking out. Are you running any exhaust discs?

Thank you SuperHero.

Yes, they are the Kooks Gen II Boss side pipes, and they are open. I have to install a set of QPT remote cutouts to tame her down around town. Will do it when my AutoBlip comes in.

20150808_205131_zps8dqonezo.jpg

OBTW, the new steering wheel is joy and looks great. It only took a few minutes to install, I was surprised how easy it was to change.

Regards,
Dave
2HP

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Checking the wheels at the track today I found that a ARP stud had failed on the front left wheel:

IMG_1216_zps2wvabyd7.jpg

Looking at the failure, it was fatigue stress -- I had changed the hubs over the winter for preventative maintenance and have about 22 track days on this set -- fortunately I had a spare hub in the trailer....

Lesson learned -- ARP studs don't last forever......

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Good find, and lesson reinforced for me to inspect what I expect and not to take it for granted. Even the best name brands can fail.

Thank you for sharing, and as for me, I have shop time scheduled for maintenance on Saturday AM, and now a more thorough inspection of undercarriage, suspension, starter, K-Member, mounts, etc., from my latest round of mods last month.

Good Luck,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Nick, what do you torque the lug nuts to?

A mustang shop owner once told me that he had spoken with ARP, and they recommended ~80-85lb-ft instead of the 100lb-ft from ford. So now I torque mine to 90lb-ft.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

F.D. Sako said:
Nick, what do you torque the lug nuts to?

A mustang shop owner once told me that he had spoken with ARP, and they recommended ~80-85lb-ft instead of the 100lb-ft from ford. So now I torque mine to 90lb-ft.

88lb-ft.......

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Swapped my Bob's catch can for a proper GT 350R-C style diff breather can.
GT350R-C:
661_zps6wiojyog.jpg

BAUS 302R:
IMG_2048_zps5dgs00tg.jpg
IMG_2049_zps8of8oi0w.jpg
IMG_2050_zpsdogmmhsq.jpg

Also changed my rear springs from 300 lb/in to 350 lb/in for Road America next week.
Love that it takes 10 minutes with no tools, thanks Maximum Motorsports.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Rick
I run a differential cooler. the GT350R comes with one and so does the Track Pack on the regular 350. I would get it if I buy one. Temps reach almost 300 during hot days/long sessions without, 260 under same conditions with.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

I don't know Rick, the IRS keeps the fluid from moving around as much as the live axle cars, plus the fact that the center section doesn't travel means they can construct a pretty fancy factory vent system. Either way it shouldn't be hard to setup a better than factory venting set up underneath the car.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel