The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Korbin_Dallas said:
Had the dealer install a FR shifter and buff out a scratch that mysteriously appeared on the back bumper. Much better on both!
With the FR shifter installed as opposed to the MGW, does that keep your warranty in tact in the event of trans issues?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

mcmmotorsports said:
With the FR shifter installed as opposed to the MGW, does that keep your warranty in tact in the event of trans issues?
Depends on many factors and the dealer/customer relationship. Ford Racing parts are considered aftermarket parts so the they don't get the automatic free pass that Ford Service/OEM parts do. The warranty for FRPP parts applies to the part itself, any problem with a related system will be analyzed by the service manager or if over a certain $ amount the Ford Regional Warranty rep. There is a lot of gray area in denying warranty and the impact an aftermarket part has in a failure. Sadly some situation result in initial denial and it is up to the customer to escalate and fight for a repair to be covered. This process takes time, phone calls and sometimes a lawyer, the idea is to wear you down so you give up. Other situations the customer has a strong dealer relationship and the dealer service manager goes to bat with Ford to get the work warranteed. Sadly this is how it is so Caveat Emptor.
Steve

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient

So basically, I just need to decide whether or not I wish to mod the car and void the warranty or don't touch it and keep the warranty. I know all about warranties and the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act but I guess I am naive to think Ford branded parts would not void manufacturer warranties regardless whether or not they were race parts.

GB899 said:
just drove it back and forth to work...
ready for tomorrow.... about 350 miles on the Paul Brown memorial Rally...
time well spent.. . a special tribute to a special friend... and modern BOSS legend.
I do really miss him... tomorrow will be tough...

Never had to the good fortune to meet Paul Brown, but his story will live forever in the annals of Boss history

Rest in peace (or better still, bench racing with Carroll Shelby)

sadil said:
Looks clean, loving the deck-lid. I hated that faux gas cap crap. I have my deck-lid waiting. Did you remove the small RTR logo? If you did, what method did you use for removal?

I just peeled it off then used some polish and a buffer to take care of any scratches I might have put in it.

mcmmotorsports said:
Like has been well stated by others, it depends.

My service writer is one of the "good" ones, and he said that something like a shifter shouldn't cause any roadblocks later. I went with the FR shifter even though it might not be the best one out there, because I thought it would be an easier sell later if there were problems, especially if it was installed by the Ford dealer.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

mcmmotorsports said:
So basically, I just need to decide whether or not I wish to mod the car and void the warranty or don't touch it and keep the warranty. I know all about warranties and the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act but I guess I am naive to think Ford branded parts would not void manufacturer warranties regardless whether or not they were race parts.

Not trying to be doom and gloom but if you read many of the disclaimers in the Ford Racing catalog specifically Page 14 and 294. If a part has the "50 states street legal" tag next to it it is considered suitable for street use. Parts with the "Off Road Use Only" tag are considered "off road" only. Parts that are re purposed service parts to be used on lower grade models are in a gray area. What that means for warranty is of course up to Ford Service reps when the time comes. I personally always calculate the risk cost if something breaks, since I do most of my own labor, my burden is parts only so its easy to figure; Engine=$7700, trans=$2500 clutch=$1300, etc. I will also say these cars are very enjoyable bone stock, and there are many consumable parts that can be swapped back and forth for street or "pleasure" use. Let your wallet be your guide. I am already long gone, as are many others on this site. But that is what Boss 302 cars are all about.
Steve

Maui

Got new headlights.
1001914_10151727036843704_1447799712_n.jpg

971171_10151727036878704_922172548_n.jpg

1001521_10151727036893704_2095525911_n.jpg

captdistraction said:
dropped it off again for more bodywork :(

1001073_10151785379041217_819992785_n.jpg

On a positive note, some surprises in store for when I get it back. I figured might as well improve some other items so I feel better about the thing altogether.

That's pretty much the exact same dent that I had, except for the opposite side. It ended up as a $3800 repair, plus I hit his insurance for a $3000 diminished value payment. Make sure that you watch the repair on that beauty line. I went with one of the best body shops in Orlando and still had to make them reshape the beauty line 3 times. It looked good each time but didn't match the shape of the passenger side beauty line.

Shawn

Maui

jfolsom,

I got them through a website called http://www.hidretrofitlights.com. His name is Kris Stone and he's a member on the mustang forums who does custom headlight retrofitting as a side job... The ones I got were prepackaged around 600 +15 (to ship, since I live in hawaii that was a deal)+50 (for hidden halos). I got the morimoto mini-HI projectors with the g-37 shrouds. You can custom design your headlight and choose the shroud and style. He gets all his hid lights from the retrofitsource and the headlight housing are off of ebay... They are brighter versus stock and I got 5000 K hid bulbs. I also requested hidden halos (another 50 bucks) I didn't realize the headlight housing was smoked when I got them so I ended up tinting my rear lights and 3rd brake light and side parking lights... If you are interested let me know and I can give you more opinions on what I would have done different....

1011582_10151730215508704_1269733627_n.jpg

998043_10151730215513704_1656513400_n.jpg

524264_10151730215483704_1802982793_n.jpg

73519_10151730215593704_1367535601_n.jpg

73447_10151730215563704_195231188_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors