The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

steveespo said:
Got this in the mail today from Mr. Black, very high quality and in my usual fashion a unique touch.
LowerGrille001_zps299e7b17.jpg

I want to thank John for going off the reservation and doing the red powder coat. Hopefully will have the rest of the car to install around it in a few days.
Steve

Steve, sounds as though you like the grille and the red color. I thought it turned out pretty good. The powder coater I use is an industrial coater and does not have many colors. I have had people also ask for white and flat black. The white he has is really an off white and the flat black that has is not an outdoor coating and he said would not last long. The red should last a while as I had him do my calipers on my 06 Mustang and it worked good for that.

steveespo said:
Thanks Mike
I have to take a cut off wheel to it to make clearance for the front Blowfish tow hook.
Shouldnt be a big deal as its very well made.
Steve

Oh no, don't cut it! I have had a couple of guys ask about a grille that would work with the BF tow hook. I would just need a drawing of the grille from the front showing the opening and dimensions needed for the hook. I was thinking about making a small batch of them next.

drano38

Wayne

Today I finished installing the Auto-Blip. I'm too old to be laying on my back and digging under the dash of a car.
Then I installed Scott's engine breather kit--saved the easy project for the second install.

drano38 said:
Today I finished installing the Auto-Blip. I'm too old to be laying on my back and digging under the dash of a car.
Then I installed Scott's engine breather kit--saved the easy project for the second install.

You will enjoy both!! Wait until you try the auto-blip on a track with a lot of shifting.

drano38

Wayne

I agree, the Auto-Blip will make downshifts a whole lot easier--I can concentrate on braking, and hopefully getting better rev matching will keep the car more stable rolling into the turns.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient

I burned through my paint trying to fix a scratch :'(

paintburn.jpg

Got my QTP electric cutouts installed.

What a nice addition....from civilized to outrageous at the flip of a switch! Love it!!

I ran all wiring through stock looking wire sheathing and carefully routed behind heat shields and insulation and then along top of firewall with other wiring. Found a PCV grommet at O'Reilly Auto Parts which fit the sound tube hole in firewall perfectly to route wires into the cabin. Pulled power from the center console power port. It all looks perfectly stock.

DSCN3441_zps7b640f19.jpg

DSCN3443_zps93feb8a3.jpg

DSCN3449_zps6fb84c22.jpg

Great pics. I'll be doing the same soon. You must not live on or near an earthquake fault line. You don't work on a car under just a jack around here! I'm about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake that postponed the world series in 1989...

So you went around through the firewall to get the wiring into the cabin eh? I might do that unless someone else has a better idea.

Fat Boss said:
Great pics. I'll be doing the same soon. You must not live on or near an earthquake fault line. You don't work on a car under just a jack around here! I'm about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake that postponed the world series in 1989.

There were jack stands under the rear side jacking points (in front of the rear tires and just out of view) and the front tires are sitting on ramps. I'm VERY careful about how I support the car. I leave the hydraulic jack under the differential as a second line of defense.

Fat Boss said:
So you went around through the firewall to get the wiring into the cabin eh? I might do that unless someone else has a better idea.

Yes, going under the heat shields/insulation underneath, then on top of the firewall insulation, joining the two on the driver's side at the top of the firewall, and then going through the hole that I no longer use for the sound tube works very well and looks absolutely stock. There was about 3' of extra wire from the driver's side and 1' from the passenger side which I just coiled up with wire ties under the center console. I then tapped into the center console power port wire and mounted the switch next to the e-brake handle - a very convenient spot.

DSCN3531_zps9d85d401.jpg

DSCN3532_zps8500f1e3.jpg

DSCN3533_zpsf1b01209.jpg

DSCN3534_zpsdfb4d6ee.jpg

DSCN3529_zps64ec4a44.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the additional pics. Good to hear you are using the jack as a secondary device.

I'll probably hide the switch somewhere. I only plan on closing them when I open track at Laguna Seca. What I really need is a GPS enabled switch that closes the blades at turn 5 then opens them back up at turn 6!!! The sound meter is between those corners.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel