The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WI / IL area track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
What caused you to push out so far? Just too fast, able to go faster than expected and missed turn point? I ask because I am going back to BF on Saturday and I feel I can pick up a bunch of time in that corner but don't want to have the same result you did.

Here's my fast lap from 2 weeks ago.

I missed that little rumble strip on the left on entry. It should make a noise when you run over that and I missed it by 3-4 feet. Pushed me too wide and boom... off

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I really want to do road america but im not sure if im ready for it lol. Maybe ill take the 500… the 350 i have to get sorted out with brakes.

we should all plan a group trip
We will be there next week for 4 days. Stop by! We have like 10 cars with Middle motorsports.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I missed that little rumble strip on the left on entry. It should make a noise when you run over that and I missed it by 3-4 feet. Pushed me too wide and boom... off
I did the same thing at about the time you responded. I wasn't even pushing 100%, just got a little lazy and missed the zip-strip as I call it. Sounds really cool when you go over it. I pushed wide and dropped a tire, managed to keep it on track after a few large corrections though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Weather for Joliet looks terrible this weekend. So maybe a drive to RA is worth it. Been looking forward to going on the track again this weekend and would hate to waste it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
We’re off to the Autobahn Country Club for some track time tomorrow. Full road course so that includes “the jump”. That didn’t unsettle the mustang last time in June (1st time there with the mach) as much as I thought. Air temperatures could reach 90* so that’s something to monitor during the stints. Let’s see how robust the stock cooling systems function during the late morning/afternoon runs along with cylinder head temps. Technical track (3.5 miles, 19 turns) with very short, not many, straights so cooling could be at a premium. Of course, we‘ll be sunny side up and bring em’ home alive !!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
We’re off to the Autobahn Country Club for some track time tomorrow. Full road course so that includes “the jump”. That didn’t unsettle the mustang last time in June (1st time there with the mach) as much as I thought. Air temperatures could reach 90* so that’s something to monitor during the stints. Let’s see how robust the stock cooling systems function during the late morning/afternoon runs along with cylinder head temps. Technical track (3.5 miles, 19 turns) with very short, not many, straights so cooling could be at a premium. Of course, we‘ll be sunny side up and bring em’ home alive !!
Great track! Enjoy

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs

Are you going for teen driver safety day? :)

So excited for access to new tracks; this looks like a blast of a track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
The Monday, July 10th, Autobahn Country Club full track day is in the books. The mach1 did pretty well considering the air temps were in the 90’s by the afternoon. Started the RT660 tires at 27 psi & during afternoon stints they build up to 35 psi so that’s ok while presenting overall good grip. I pushed them as well as the car, maybe 8.5 out of 10. Cylinder head temps got to 218*, rear diff got to 220*, oil got to 230* during some real pushing during the afternoon stints. Coolant gauge was always in the middle of the band. Fuel mileage, while not a too important value was 4.8 mpg as I was learning to get on the gas earlier at apex, motor was always growling with it‘s track note that doesn’t sound too bad even with a helmet on. All in all, excellent track day !! A big plus for the day was to meet up with James @Kona.coyote5.0 & his Kona blue S197, nice car. Hope to see him and the usual regulars out there at the track. Next up, Blackhawk on Wednesday July 26th.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Track note : during my instruction year (2017) when we started down the slippery slope of tracking the sports car, I was taught to always have the helmet visor down starting at the release point at the grid, so it‘s down when I get to the blend line. Keep the visor down no matter the condition on the track such as heat or better ventilation. Pray tell there was a fire, it’s down to give you that extra time before something bad happens. Well, at Autobahn, while on track at speed, a very large klag of rubber came flying into the car, bounced off my visor & bounced back out !! I saw it coming in my peripheral vision, it made that thalack sound on the visor. So, keep the visors down fellow track enthusiasts as that would have made a bad day considering where it struck.

IMG_3035.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Next 10 days.
Outstanding !! Well, BFR on the 26th is next Wed. & that’s 9 days ? NWSC got their weekend event in August on the 19th and 20th. We’re registering tonight for Barber in Alabama in September 16th and 17th. LAPS got some RA dates in September 23rd and 24th. We’re doing Autobahn with LAPS on the Monday October 9th - full track.
Just seen the new car in your signature line. JULIE is a pretty girl !!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Outstanding !! Well, BFR on the 26th is next Wed. & that’s 9 days ? NWSC got their weekend event in August on the 19th and 20th. We’re registering tonight for Barber in Alabama in September 16th and 17th. LAPS got some RA dates in September 23rd and 24th. We’re doing Autobahn with LAPS on the Monday October 9th - full track.
Just seen the new car in your signature line. JULIE is a pretty girl !!
Scratch the July 26th at Blackhawk. Those BFR Wednesday events are for road licensed cars only as JULIE is a race car !!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
LAPS and maybe the Northwoods Sunday @ BHF are looking good right now.
LAPS has a RA test & tune day on August 23rd. Pricey but you get unlimited time on the track all day except lunch hour. That type of track day would be too brutal for my car but your new track ride would fit right in. It’s right after NWSC at Blackhawk so the turn around time is short so there’s that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel