The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemax said:
Love the improved sound... now to work on the front brake ducts. ;D
Schedule more time than you think you'll need. ;) I have a thread here somewhere where I used tips from many others and compiled them with photos when I installed mine.

BTW I like the photo in your avatar. That's the photo I posted of the car I drove at BTA.

bluemax said:
Just finished my first mod... wife thinks I'm crazy to start tearing apart a brand new car (still less than 300 miles on her)... to install the front Pioneer speakers.

The video was a great help, door handle cable slowed me down for a few minutes, but overall, very simple swap.

Any chance you weighed the Pioneers? I forgot ;D

cloud9 said:
bluemax said:
Just finished my first mod... wife thinks I'm crazy to start tearing apart a brand new car (still less than 300 miles on her)... to install the front Pioneer speakers.

The video was a great help, door handle cable slowed me down for a few minutes, but overall, very simple swap.

Are you suggesting there is a lightweight speaker option out there Gary? :eek:
Steve

cloud9 said:

Ha! Actually never crossed my mind... I would assume slighlty more than the oem "made in China" ones. I am kinda surprised at how basic (aka cheap) the oem ones are.

5 DOT 0 said:
BTW I like the photo in your avatar. That's the photo I posted of the car I drove at BTA.

Yea, couldn't help making a copy when you originally posted it some time back... maybe I will get to drive it when I get to attend in Oct. ;)

Got my Enkei wheels today with a short road trip to pick them up.
9.5x18 w/ 45mm offset for going square, and included Ford TPMS.
Don't know if I'll leave them silver, or paint them black. I assume they're clear coated, so I'd most likely have to rough them up a bit first.
Now I need to add a Strano sway bar.

20120107200706.jpg

drano38 said:
Don't know if I'll leave them silver, or paint them black. I assume they're clear coated, so I'd most likely have to rough them up a bit first.

BTW, for the question you had asked, I used Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel 500F and they are holding up very well. I love the look of the black on mine even if they are just track rims.

drano38 said:

20120107200706.jpg
Nice looking wheels............for my tatse I would leave them as is...........LOL.......I like shiny wheels! But it's your car, you only have to please you!

BLAZN BOSS said:
drano38 said:

20120107200706.jpg
Nice looking wheels............for my tatse I would leave them as is...........LOL.......I like shiny wheels! But it's your car, you only have to please you!

Hey, Cool!!

- Have you had an opportunity to check out Filip Trojanec's setup at Cortex, for square setups, here:

http://www.cortexracing.com/store/suspension/2005-2012-mustang/track-package/

I'd be very curious to hear your opinion on his system.

Lee.

Yea, they'll look great silver or black. They look nice on Gary's CO. (He even types faster than me ;D) That's a great looking trailer too ;).
And the 302S wheels have quite a bit of machined face on them too.
If I paint, I'll look into Scott's engine block paint, or maybe have an aircraft mechanic friend use his toys.
After beating around the square vs staggered, I decided on square. Rotating tires gives more tire life. This hobby is costing WAY more than anything in my past (but is WAAAAY more fun too ;D), so I figured attempt to maximize use of funds.
Lee, looks like a nice setup for the serious track car. But I'm not diving in that deep yet.

lbp said:
Hey, Cool!!

- Have you had an opportunity to check out Filip Trojanec's setup at Cortex, for square setups, here:

http://www.cortexracing.com/store/suspension/2005-2012-mustang/track-package/

I'd be very curious to hear your feedback on his system.

Lee.
That looks nearly identical to the Griggs suspension package I have on my '07 GT500. While it was a significant track improvement over the stock suspension, and somewhat better than the FRPP handling pack I had as an intermediate step, the '12 Boss isn't the '07 Mustang. The suspension on the Boss has been DRAMATICALLY improved over the early S197s. Personally I won't go down this path with the Boss unless I'm going to make it a track only car. I would GUESS the lap time improvement would be nominal for a DE or TT car.....maybe 1-2 seconds at best...and the streetability will be severely compromised. My $0.02.

drano38 said:
Yea, they'll look great silver or black. They look nice on Gary's CO. (He even types faster than me ;D) That's a great looking trailer too ;).
And the 302S wheels have quite a bit of machined face on them too.
If I paint, I'll look into Scott's engine block paint, or maybe have an aircraft mechanic friend use his toys.
After beating around the square vs staggered, I decided on square. Rotating tires gives more tire life. This hobby is costing WAY more than anything in my past (but is WAAAAY more fun too ;D), so I figured attempt to maximize use of funds.
Lee, looks like a nice setup for the serious track car. But I'm not diving in that deep yet.

Understood, with respect to both replies..
The thing I liked about the Cortex system is that it allows for lowering the car correctly (bump steer kit, relocated ball joint & extended pins, etc.).
He also has a staggered stock option for relocating the shocks (by .5") out of the way of the wider wheels. - I do not like adding spacers and getting the wheels into the fender wells to accomplish this.
I notice that Stranoparts has a 10.5" wide wheel wereas Cortex's wheel is only 10." Very cool... Now, I need to know the offset & whether those 10.5's with 315's will clear the fender well if installed without spacers. i.e., with less stagger on the shock by using the Cortex kit.
As for street or track, I drive like a little old lady on the street & rarely exceed the speed limit (gotta miss those potholes!), so I totally understand what you mean about keeping the car street-friendly. In my case however, I'm trying to use it on the street as little as possible & save it for the track. (this is a great car, unfortunately (for me :D) too good as a daily driver).
I do think however that this car will benefit by lowering it.
The only thing I do not like about the Cortex system is that it does not a have a remote reservoir shock option. ..Seems like a budget shock was included to keep the price down.
Over & out.

PS - I like the square set up too, if done correctly.
Interestingly enough, by doing such, the car becomes illegal for NASA American Iron Series & gets bumped to American Iron Extreme...

5 DOT 0 said:
Ibp Ford Racing is coming out with Boss specific springs that will lower the car a little and hopefully with no modifications. They should have something to announce soon.

Cool...
My biggest concern would also be keeping the suspension geometry correct.
Any ETA on the FRP?
Thanks for the update.
...Might also be a sanction-legal mod since it is available from FRP.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel