The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I spoke to Filip at CorteX about their package last week and wheels they use are 18 x 10.5, which will only fit in the front with their offset struts. The details are here: http://www.cortexracing.com/store/wheels/jongbloed-700/
They do also after a high-end strut/shock package, as an option although it is built to order only since most mustang owners do not want to pay the additional cost. They recommend the Ohlins TTX shock with inverted front struts or they also have a Moton/AST package both of these options come with remote reservoirs. Seems that the sky is the limit.

faust said:
I spoke to Filip at CorteX about their package last week and wheels they use are 18 x 10.5, which will only fit in the front with their offset struts. The details are here: http://www.cortexracing.com/store/wheels/jongbloed-700/
They do also after a high-end strut/shock package, as an option although it is built to order only since most mustang owners do not want to pay the additional cost. They recommend the Ohlins TTX shock with inverted front struts or they also have a Moton/AST package both of these options come with remote reservoirs. Seems that the sky is the limit.

- That's right, I miss-quoted Filip's wheel size.
The offset struts would seem to be the way to go...
Will check it out.
I have Motons on another car & they are great.

Wayne, those are much better rims then what I am running. Powder coating is nice but for me it will not make the car any faster at the track. Since I use the NT05's I swap them at least once on the rims in addition to regular tire swaps. I have about five dollar worth of worry when I do. It's not going to win a gold at a MCA judged car show but I can use that cash to apply toward the tire fund ;D

Tire Fund you ask? = https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/ ::)

5 DOT 0 said:
Ibp Ford Racing is coming out with Boss specific springs that will lower the car a little and hopefully with no modifications. They should have something to announce soon.

on imports we had to get camber kit to align the car back to factory spec when vehicle is dropped over an inch. i wonder what we need for the mustang. i did a little research, upper strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar seem to be needed for optimum performance. is this true?

what exactly is an adjustable panhard bar? ???

When you lower the front, you increase negative camber (good for track use). To "correct" it you need adj caster/camber plates which are your upper strut mount with ability to adjust caster/camber. Most people leave the caster at factory specs so you really onltly need camber plates, but most allow adjustment of both. The negative camber from the 11mm drop from the factory is -.95 degrees roughly. For track use you probably want to be closer to -2.5 degrees.

When you lower the rear of the car, the solid rear axle shifts left to the driver's side. The panhard bar attaches to the frame at one end and the axle at the other and controls the rear end from shifting laterally under load. An adjustable panhard bar is threaded with locknut to allow you to change its length thereby restoring the axle to its center position.

lbp said:
ArizonaGT said:
Did someone say Motons? ;D

AST 4250s are on my future mod list...

Nice!!

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=273

Exaaaaaaaaaaaactly! Although that is probably 2-3 years down the road from now. I have a set of Roush KW V2s in my garage now waiting to go on after I move to a neighborhood with fewer speedbumps. By that time, who knows what goodies AST will have dreamed up!

cloud9 said:
When you lower the front, you increase negative camber (good for track use). To "correct" it you need adj caster/camber plates which are your upper strut mount with ability to adjust caster/camber. Most people leave the caster at factory specs so you really onltly need camber plates, but most allow adjustment of both. The negative camber from the 11mm drop from the factory is -.95 degrees roughly. For track use you probably want to be closer to -2.5 degrees.

When you lower the rear of the car, the solid rear axle shifts left to the driver's side. The panhard bar attaches to the frame at one end and the axle at the other and controls the rear end from shifting laterally under load. An adjustable panhard bar is threaded with locknut to allow you to change its length thereby restoring the axle to its center position.

thank you for the information! looks like i'll be getting these support items for the upcoming FRP springs

ArizonaGT said:
AST 4250s are on my future mod list...

Are you copying me ;) Working with Brian now on a set of 4250s. Probably be mid-summer before I can get it all in place... unless a sponsor deal is struck :)

JScheier said:
Are you copying me ;) Working with Brian now on a set of 4250s. Probably be mid-summer before I can get it all in place... unless a sponsor deal is struck :)

You will have to know what settings you like so I have a baseline when I can finally get my set...

ArizonaGT said:
You will have to know what settings you like so I have a baseline when I can finally get my set...

I'll let you know my rates and settings. I don't mind sharing ;) I'm letting Fair figure out the rates. He's getting ready to test some Moton Clubsports which have just been reworked by Brian. I was really impressed with the 4200s on my M3... so figured I'd go 4250.

Many thanks man. Having a baseline setup will be helpful to eliminate some of the headache when I can get the 4250s in the car. Hopefully the car will be 3-500lbs lighter by then as well! :)

Just ordered my wheel studs from CoolTech today.

ArizonaGT said:
Just ordered my wheel studs from CoolTech today.

Mine arrived today from CJ's. Hopefully it's above freezing this weekend so I can get the studs in. Vorshlag says ETA on the 18x9 D-Force wheels is next month :)

JScheier said:
Mine arrived today from CJ's. Hopefully it's above freezing this weekend so I can get the studs in. Vorshlag says ETA on the 18x9 D-Force wheels is next month :)

Those look promising for a second set of track wheels. Keep us posted on how they hold up to a season's worth of beating on the open track.

Got brake rotors?

Here's my rotor collection, and other recent procurements.
2 DBA 4000 front sets, Tire Rack closeout
Power Slot rears, CJ sale
Reybestos fronts, CJ sale, $52 each--too cheap to pass up
Aluminum race jack stands--plan to shorten them a bit to match min jacking height for front wheel removal
K&N air filter
Tool cabinets - 2 lowers and one upper to hold lots of stuff
And a little eye candy while working in the man cave
20120112205935.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel