The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll have to snap a pic when it is light out, but I also have most of my tools in my living room since the Boss takes up more real estate than my last car. You don't want to see my living room.

Starting with the track key, and first oil and diff fluid change tomorrow. Getting ready for first track event in a few weeks so I guess cooling mods, srf and pads will follow. Its hard not to go nuts with the mods and its a slippery slope......

I am not sure what is worse/better. Living in an area where you can drive this car 90% of the time and spending all your money on gas or sitting around all winter spending your gas money on mod's and not being able to drive it. Would you rather drive a slitely modified car all the time or a highly modified car rarely? I sure as hell havn't got an answer to that.

I received my CJ grille yesterday but didn't install it as I'm thinking about returning it due to poor workmanship on it. So instead I waxed my Boss for the first time and in keeping with my Ford Racing theme installed this.

P1030022.jpg

2012YellowBoss said:
275 squared or you gonna run the 315's out back?

Square setup. Always square :)

Apparently I am getting a set of 265 R888s for free that weekend as well, never run them before but will give em a whirl after the NT01s are used up.

Be careful on the 888s the first time you run them hard, they get really greasy really fast. At least, on my 2800 lb track car they do. I usually do one hard lap then one easy lap just to keep them usable, definitely getting something else when they wear out. They are bad enough that people in the spec E30 and miata classes refused to keep using them and switched back to RA1s. Unless they have made a significant change over the last 2 years or the larger sizes are better.

ArizonaGT said:
2012YellowBoss said:
275 squared or you gonna run the 315's out back?

Square setup. Always square :)

Apparently I am getting a set of 265 R888s for free that weekend as well, never run them before but will give em a whirl after the NT01s are used up.
I like the R888s for durability and they still stick good. Also the square edge gives you better control although I've heard it said they require a little more feel than RA1s to drive them fast. I'm probably going to try a set this summer.

CaliMR said:
Be careful on the 888s the first time you run them hard, they get really greasy really fast. At least, on my 2800 lb track car they do. I usually do one hard lap then one easy lap just to keep them usable, definitely getting something else when they wear out. They are bad enough that people in the spec E30 and miata classes refused to keep using them and switched back to RA1s. Unless they have made a significant change over the last 2 years or the larger sizes are better.

I have heard similar things about them as well, just going to have to see for myself!

I have probably 14 track days on them, but all in an E30 which is not all that hard on tires. They are nice until you over heat them. But when they go bad, they go really bad like a switch got flipped. So you just need to figure out where that point is, and how much you have to back off to let them cool. But that is part of the skill in running on the track.

Great street tire. I enjoy them very much on mountain runs.

ArizonaGT said:
CaliMR said:

I have heard similar things about them as well, just going to have to see for myself!
It's funny how the opinions on this tire are so polarized. I'm in the really like them camp, but it seems you either love em or hate em. I run the 305 and 275 staggered sizes.

Most of the people I know who tried them love them right up until they get greasy. For a while (during transition they allowed either tire) the hot combo was RA1s up front and 888s rear, the rear would get just greasy enough to fight understeer since the spec rules won't let you dial it out with suspension changes. Nobody I know uses them in the larger sizes though so you would know better than me about those.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel