The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30 degrees above normal??? Yikes. It's supposed to be mid 50's here but I can't drive today.

Looks good. Are you going to paint the underside of the hood as well?

Dark Horse said:
Is that an aftermarket mirror? If so, would you mind providing some information on it?
It's the Homelink mirror that comes on the premium GT. 3 programmable garage openers, auto dim, compass and temp. Since the Boss has the temp feature already you can get it without it for $50 less and no wire through the firewall to a sensor in the grille. I ordered it from the dealer for $450 installed.

Jza1736 said:
My CF hood weighs in at 12.4 pounds. It is so light
Wow that is light. Still for me to only save another 7.5 lbs I'm good with the fiberglass. The body man said it was the best looking fiberglass hood he's seen and won't require much prep at all. They were all commenting on how light it was so yours must be like a feather ;D

cloud9 said:
Dark Horse said:
Is that an aftermarket mirror? If so, would you mind providing some information on it?
It's the Homelink mirror that comes on the premium GT. 3 programmable garage openers, auto dim, compass and temp. Since the Boss has the temp feature already you can get it without it for $50 less and no wire through the firewall to a sensor in the grille. I ordered it from the dealer for $450 installed.

It looks really good and definitely something to look into. Thanks.

5 DOT 0 said:
30 degrees above normal??? Yikes. It's supposed to be mid 50's here but I can't drive today.

Looks good. Are you going to paint the underside of the hood as well?
We're painting the underside orange. The topside will be like the original 302S in gloss black with the pinstripe like our stock hood decals. I went with four hoodpins, and we're going to eliminate the hood latch and block that area with some aluminum to keep all the air going through the radiator.

boss302s1.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2011-04-14

cloud9 said:
Jza1736 said:
My CF hood weighs in at 12.4 pounds. It is so light
Wow that is light. Still for me to only save another 7.5 lbs I'm good with the fiberglass. The body man said it was the best looking fiberglass hood he's seen and won't require much prep at all. They were all commenting on how light it was so yours must be like a feather ;D

Yeah, my body guy said the same thing. I can lift it with 1 finger. Can't wait to see finished pics!!

Body shop just called and asked if I wanted to install a washer nozzle relocation kit to the wipers or just cap them off. Looks like LMR sells a kit for $60. Opinions? It's not like I drive it in the conditions that usually require the squirters, but then again, hate to get caught and can't see.....

cloud9 said:
Body shop just called and asked if I wanted to install a washer nozzle relocation kit to the wipers or just cap them off. Looks like LMR sells a kit for $60. Opinions? It's not like I drive it in the conditions that usually require the squirters, but then again, hate to get caught and can't see.....

My guy just rerouted them without a kit. He said it wasn't that hard.

cloud9 said:
Do you have any pics? What did he attach them to?

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/boss-302j-work-progress-497601/index5/

Bottom of the page. 908ssp has pics of his and then mine are a couple posts after his

Just installed Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and Rousch vent gauge pod and Bondra Performance clutch pedal extension.

Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and Rousch Vent Gauge Pod
The installation of the Rousch vent gauge pod was a snap. Instructions are very clear and the unit fit perfectly. For securement of the gauge in the pod itself I used some 3M foam double stick tape to secure it since it's a bit too loose to stay snug on it's own. The other thing I did was make a slot using a box/sheetrock cutter blade in the bottom of the plastic vent tube that feeds the vent on the dash. This was done to accept the OBDII cable coming up from underneath. The error I saw in the instructions is that the cable connector appears to be able to be connected to the back of the gauge 2 ways, each 180 degress (half turn) from each other. The instructions make no mention of the correct alignment of the connector into the gauge. There is no 'key' that I can see that allows only one way to install the connector (molex connector have such a key). I believe the unit will only operate if the cable is put in correctly, if upside down the pins will be reversed and I can't see how it would operate. That said, I can't tell you which is the correct way, sorry. Once I had it connected I could not see which end I left up and just tried it anyway and it worked. Safe to say if you fire it up and it doesn't work just try flipping the cable connector.

2011-12-16_21-01-13_731.jpg

Bondra Performance Clutch Pedal Extension
Unit is made very well and feels very comfortable when installed. I'm only 5' 7" so this thing saves me from being up on the steering wheel when tracking the car. I was curious if the pedal would fell too high with this extension installed but it doesn't. A fully depressed clutch extends your foot about the same as when the brake is fully depressed, which to me was perfect.

I have one very strong suggestion for installing this unit: The instructions basically state that you should mount the unit onto the pedal and then attempt to put the clutch pedal pad back on the extension unit - DON'T DO IT !! You'll be heating the thing up with a heat gun to soften the rubber and cursing a blue streak ;D The is a much easier way - after you have removed the clutch pedal pad from the pedal, install it onto the extension unit (with each half just held together) first. The first half of the extension unit will slip onto the pad easily. The second will be a bit more difficult, I used the end of a small flathead screwdriver to pry up the rubber lip of the pad and 'flip' it over the ridge of the extension unit. This whole operation only took 5 to 10 minutes and I did not have to heat up the rubber of the pedal pad to get it on. I also did not have to do all this lying on my back under the dash ;D Once you have the pad fully on, spread the opposite end of the extension unit that mounts to the pedal open like a clam. Open it enough to be able to slip it over the left and right side of the pedal mounting flange (that the stock pedal pad was initially holding onto). Once you get the right angle both side will slip over the pedal flange and you're ready to install and tighten the 2 mounting screws. I used blue threadlock on the screws.

2011-12-16_21-39-44_258.jpg

Gary,
Looking forward to pics of the hood and tow hooks.
Maybe I'll need to make a SF Ford run next spring for some tow hooks.
At the rate I'm burning Boss money, I'll put the hood on the "later" list. Gotta get a couple sets of track rims/tires first.

PeteInCT, you'll really like the gauge. I wrapped electrical tape around the gauge about 2 times to make it fit snug in pod. Don't remember how the wire connected.

Good news is the garage should be finished late next week so the Boss can move to its new winter corral.

Yea and you can drive it anytime too ! ;D So far no snow in CT, won't be long...

I have the 302S grill and side splitters coming in on Monday. I'd want to do the oil cooler as soon as it's available. I was looking at the 302S rear wing today... Hmmmmm.... All these other mods have flown under the radar (read: low 3 figures or less), I guess it's worth sleeping in the shed for a couple of days ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel