The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In interested to see how installation goes. I think the cheaper MXL strada is a great value for temp/pressure gauges and lap timing. I'm jockeying the idea of getting the pista for data acquisition, but I don't think I'm quite there yet

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
neema said:
In interested to see how installation goes. I think the cheaper MXL strada is a great value for temp/pressure gauges and lap timing. I'm jockeying the idea of getting the pista for data acquisition, but I don't think I'm quite there yet

I'd take a serious look at Autosport Labs' Race Capture Pro setup or Traqmate over a Strada. Hell, maybe even over a Pista.

But I got a deal on the Pista that was too good to pass up--I wouldn't expect to find that to be the norm.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bunch of stuff came in from Pegasus Auto Racing today. Thermo Sleeve is for the future oil pressure/temp senders in the engine bay.

UWFfxyE.jpg

Including all the switches for my center stack panel! OEM headlight switch gets relocated to the large hole in the bottom.

kjVBs6t.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
Bunch of stuff came in from Pegasus Auto Racing today. Thermo Sleeve is for the future oil pressure/temp senders in the engine bay.

969635_10100405185462084_1214679062_n.jpg

Including all the switches for my center stack panel! OEM headlight switch gets relocated to the large hole in the bottom.

1185382_10100405401094954_270875190_n.jpg

do all the pigtails come to extend the wiring?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
RE: wiring: No, I'm going to have to extend/reroute that myself. No big deal, just extra work.

PS:

24.5lbs per wheel measured on scale. Not the lightest but not the heaviest either. Lighter than the FRPP wheels.

gApB4WS.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran the SVE wheels for a while, good service no issues with balance or cracking. I hated the lug wells being so tight but wasn't a big deal. Good for the price, also AMR wheels from American muscle are decent and an excellent value if you need multiple sets.
Steve

Here's a little trick, when you install the lugnuts on those wheels (it appears they don't have steel inserts) put a small amount of white lithium grease on the taper. Now I know everyone will say that they should be clean because any paint, grease or whatever will allow the nut to come loose. Normally I would agree with that, however the white grease virtually blows off the taper when bolted down, leaving and extremely small amount that keeps the nut from bugging up the aluminum taper. Bugging up the taper IMO is a far greater sin that grease on the taper, once the taper is thoroughly wanged out the nut will never seat properly.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Here's a little trick, when you install the lugnuts on those wheels (it appears they don't have steel inserts) put a small amount of white lithium grease on the taper. Now I know everyone will say that they should be clean because any paint, grease or whatever will allow the nut to come loose. Normally I would agree with that, however the white grease virtually blows off the taper when bolted down, leaving and extremely small amount that keeps the nut from bugging up the aluminum taper. Bugging up the taper IMO is a far greater sin that grease on the taper, once the taper is thoroughly wanged out the nut will never seat properly.

Good tip! Since I'm running sprint races and not doing wheel/tire changes during the race, I don't have to gun the lugs on. I always start the lugs by hand to get a couple threads engaged, then I hit em with the gun.

What can you tell me about gluing the lugnuts to the wheel for quick changes? I don't think I'll use that knowledge but I've always been interested to know the method/materials.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here are a couple updates from the weekend; builder was scrambing to get the cage done so it could head off to the paint shop sometime today (Monday).

TIG Welding the tubes:
l4ZAQPK.jpg

Getting the downbars as close as possible to the chassis:
IG19n2u.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
Good tip! Since I'm running sprint races and not doing wheel/tire changes during the race, I don't have to gun the lugs on. I always start the lugs by hand to get a couple threads engaged, then I hit em with the gun.

What can you tell me about gluing the lugnuts to the wheel for quick changes? I don't think I'll use that knowledge but I've always been interested to know the method/materials.

You almost have to use the 1 inch stock car nuts to do it, use a stud, pressed in and tack welded to the hub, the studs are extended and have(about) a 3/4 inch "bullet" on the head that is non threaded and are hardened. The nuts are 1 inch covered in teflon and glued to the wheels themselves (glued to the taper on the wheel) using weatherstrip adhesive. when you shove the wheel on the nuts hang up on the stud "bullet" and stay on the stud. They they're run down with an (hi performance) impact and a special flank drive socket (about $80) That's the standard answer, like anything else there's some top secret fine tuning involved.

This guy actually misses one and has to go back on the passenger side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiF7l8hjKnE

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stainless lines arrived from Vorshlag today! Now I just need a Mustang to put them on.

3RVEV4z.jpg

Car supposed to be dropped off for paint today (1 day delay due to weather). Scheduled to have it back on the 20th; first race for this car is 9/28!

I AM EXCITE!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BTW if anyone is wondering what the red switch guard is protecting--I am rerouting the factory trunk release to a momentary switch...lol

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
ArizonaGT said:
BTW if anyone is wondering what the red switch guard is protecting--I am rerouting the factory trunk release to a momentary switch...lol

Race cars don't have electric trunk releases. You should use that switch to work your heated seats instead...as they serve about the same purpose with you living in AZ. :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well actually I will finally have a cool-shirt system out here in the blistering heat; very much looking forward to that. I might re-task a couple of the switch holes for the controls or drill additional holes.

I have the "eject" button in my car, this guys was looking at it and says "What's this for?" I yell "Don't touch it!" he freaks, then I say "Relax, it's the cigarette lighter" we had a good laugh.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hehe, nice.

SUPPOSEDLY the car went off to paint today (two days late). I'm stopping by the shop tomorrow to take care of some other stuff so if it's still there I'm going to be a bit annoyed, but the cage should be finished so if for some reason it IS still there, I'll get some pics.

Got my decal guys scheduled to come over on the 24th and get the car all stickered up. Ordered my ProAutoSport and NASA sticker packages as well. Ford Racing is sending me a replacement oval for one of the front fascia ones I botched installing earlier this year.

Additionally I've got to swap over the front and rear brake rotors and pads, front Ti shims, install the new SS lines, and flush the system with Brembo HTC-64T. Then I've got to install my center stack panel and at least wire up the ever-important trunk release switch. I'll probably swap out the in-line fuel filter since the car will be up in the air as well.

It's all coming together!

I will have the AIM w/ GPS operational for the second race (in early November) but we will use Autosport Labs' Race Capture Pro (courtesy of Chris "CaptDistraction") system for this first weekend to get some data, since it takes all of 10 mins to install it into a car, if that. http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro We'll marry up that telemetry with race footage from a GP Hero3 Black (also courtesy of Chris).

Then after the first race I can take a bit of a breather (both physically and financially) and tie up any non-critical loose ends before race weekend #2.

Good news is I'll be racing with a bunch of guys I've raced against before, although they've got more WTW seat time than me now. Should be an interesting weekend on the 28/29th.

TMO Supporting Vendors