The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The CorteX rear bar is great. It does NOT have a lot of rate--so it's equivalent to a very small bar--but the quick adjust is VERY useful especially for test days or different tracks, or just fine-tuning the balance of the car.

Keep in mind that what might work on a production car that has suspension pickup points mandated by rules prolly doesn't apply to Frankenstang that has been completely redesigned, the small or no bar I think worked for him back in the day, really no longer applies. BtW what does that vette weigh, and is it in your class?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Did you get anywhere with Big John?
Haven’t called him yet, super busy at work. Will call tomorrow.
That vette is in our group but not my class.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The CorteX rear bar is great. It does NOT have a lot of rate--so it's equivalent to a very small bar--but the quick adjust is VERY useful especially for test days or different tracks, or just fine-tuning the balance of the car.
Im just looking to limit some of the diagonal weight transfer, I'm hoping this works without loosening the car up. It’s hooked on exit and I don’t want to sacrifice that but I’d sure like to reduce the roll and fix the mid corner push I seem to have developed. It’s killing my corner speed.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I tried an 18mm bar late last year and it was terrible, made the car very skittish to drive so I have been sitting on this cortex bar waiting for a good opportunity to try it. Friday is a test day at laguna and Sat/Sunday is racing so we’ll see if I like this setup soon enough.

Im just looking to limit some of the diagonal weight transfer, I'm hoping this works without loosening the car up. It’s hooked on exit and I don’t want to sacrifice that but I’d sure like to reduce the roll and fix the mid corner push I seem to have developed. It’s killing my corner speed.
if an S197 doesn't have body roll it doesn't have handling.. lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
if an S197 doesn't have body roll it doesn't have handling.. lol
True for a mechanical grip car but an aero car has other dynamics.
A big splitter w/tunnels and undertray needs to have a stable platform.
If the body is rolling the splitter isn’t working.
It needs to stay fairly level with the ground to be effective.

True for a mechanical grip car but an aero car has other dynamics.
A big splitter w/tunnels and undertray needs to have a stable platform.
If the body is rolling the splitter isn’t working.
It needs to stay fairly level with the ground to be effective.
Back in the day, when F1 went to tunnel cars with sealed skirts, they only had about a 7% slip angle before the tunnel stalled. It was kind of weird, where the faster you went, the better the car stuck until.. you know.. " the thing".
Which resulted in sealing skirts being banned and the tunnel effectiveness minimized.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks like a good field is building....still a few regulars that haven't signed up yet.
45 cars in our group so far. Should be exciting.

ite.PNG

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i love my bmw. if i ever got rid of the mustang i would get a e46 m3 too

...or do something crazier than what i have in mind for the wagon now

Untitled 1.png

i think that jason guy runs nasa too, so maybe you can make fun of him this weekend

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i love my bmw. if i ever got rid of the mustang i would get a e46 m3 too

...or do something crazier than what i have in mind for the wagon now

View attachment 77575

i think that jason guy runs nasa too, so maybe you can make fun of him this weekend
I think most of those guys are from NASA looking for some track time before Nationals...just like we are.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel