The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FR500C Vs FR500S Which would be better for tracking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I have found one of each that I am considering purchasing. I am looking for info as far as thoughts on expense of running and maintaining the cars? They both have about 3500 miles on them.

Fr500c or the fr500s don't have odometers. So I don't know how miles can be? Hrs yes.
The fr500c is higher hp car 4 cam 5.0 liter modular motor. Suspension is springed differently. Parts are around .the 5.0 4 cam motor used was never in production car.only thru ford motorsport at 25k.
Fr500s is 3 cam lower hp car.parts are not hard to find as 3 cam was production motor.

Ford tagged both cars
My fr500c is tagged fr500c0011

The AIM logged the millage. Are the engines on the 500c expensive to get refreshed since they are rare?

Motor internals are available. Blocks heads intake aren't available.
Steering racks are hard to find.
Lower control arms are around but hard to find. They are special on fr500c longer balljoint. Boss 302s used larger ball joint so spindles have to swapped.

Last cammer motor I saw 4sale used and in need of rebuild was 15k. I do know of a nos cammer motor in the ford box 30k.just an idea.
Trans is t56 special built by rockland gear for ford racing. You can get them.

There's about a 75HP difference as well.
The lower control arms can be " created" with a little enginuity. Both cars are fairly bulletproof if properly maintained. Either would a be a fun car, the 3 valve should be much cheaper, which is basically an SCCA T4 car, the 5.0 maybe T2ish class

Thanks for all the info. I am going to take a look tomorrow at both of them. I think that the C car may be more collectable but more expensive to keep running.

The fr500c there were about 29 built in 2 runs 2005 and 2007. 2 cars I know of were wadded up and parts went to biw. Most of all fr500c have race history in imsa gs.
1 fr500c just sold 86k.
There were quite few biw built into fr500c. All ford built cars have tags on them.
The fr500s I think close to 100 were built. And yes allot cheaper to maintain.
I do know of a fr500c roller came from multi matic. Last body they were building if your interested I can get you in contact with owner. Chris

Nice car @Quadxxxx Have you had to have any engine work done on the car and if so, who do you recommend?
The engine still has the original ford racing head seals- never been rebuilt
The only company I found onlinethat says they do rebuilding of the four valve motor is www.proweldperformance.com
I have never communicated with them so experience and pricing unknown.
My FR500C 0027 has race history being campaigned in 2006-2007 and driven by the Mahre brothers Phil and Steve of Olympic downhill skiing fame! They were big SCCA racers in California

I spoke to Roush and they no longer service the engines. I did see that pro weld performance has the knowledge to build the engine. Just a long ways from Arizona.

L&m out of Scranton pa builds them too also dessoma racing in NJ does them too.also mmr out of California does them.
Sealed motors are rare these days.

Does anyone know how many hours the engines are good for before needing rebuilding? I have heard between 100-200 hrs on normal race engines but I know these motors are detuned so wondering if they life is extended?

Rehagen /khor and jbs motorsport told me they get season on 1 motor . A leak down test they would make decision to replace it. 200 to 300 hrs.is baseline.

Thanks so much! Now just waiting to hear back from NASA to see if they will allow the car in a race group. I would hope so but you never know.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel