The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

I prepped and packed the car for tomorrow's Summit Point event.

One of the front caliper bleeder inserts sheered off while trying to loosen it during bleeding. Replaced it with one of the stock bleeder valves. I think I'm torquing the 1/4" inserts too much... a common problem I have with all bolts :mad:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Mothers Clay Bar, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze with DA polisher, Mothers Brazilian Carnauba.Wax, Mothers Back to Black.

She looks great and still turns heads!
Dave
302 Hi Pro

VooDooBOSS said:
Yes my TP order comes with the coolers. Will I need a breather? Sorry for the confusion.

steveespo said:
I don't know Rick, the IRS keeps the fluid from moving around as much as the live axle cars, plus the fact that the center section doesn't travel means they can construct a pretty fancy factory vent system. Either way it shouldn't be hard to setup a better than factory venting set up underneath the car.
Steve

The volume of air in differential housing will need to "breathe" as it expands and contracts with temperature changes from ambient to "hot" even with the differential oil cooler. The air volume is significantly less for the IRS than a solid axle setup, but the system will still be breathing in and out. Hopefully Ford has included a proper breather this time on their latest RCWALP.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Still looking to reduce Oil temps.... Fabricated and installed baffles to sit behind the front facia with the Ford Racing Bumper Bar (similar to the Watson 2013 302S version) in an attempt to improve airflow across the Setrab Oil Cooler:

IMG_1228_zpsk6eoh3p3.png

IMG_1229_zpsmglljzdb.png

Will test at RA this weekend......

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Had an awesome weekend at Road America with Steve E. Tough track on brakes. Both Steve and I got thru a set of rear Pads and our rear right brake calipers on day 1 after nearly 3 hours of track time.

These pads were new for day 1:
image_zpsw23bpgy6.jpg

Will post pics and videos tomorrow. Improved PB at RA and had a blast with some really close laps with Steve.

Good news on cooling -- the baffles behind the facia reduced max oil temps by 20-30F and coolant by 10-20F -- no more backing off revs after 15-30 mins

Glad the Boss is back in business Nick. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! You must have the 302R ABS module to be going through rear pads like that?

Yikes good catch Nick. When did you last change them? I replaced mine last winter and had been changing them preventatively every two years

Black Boss said:
Still looking to reduce Oil temps.... Fabricated and installed baffles to sit behind the front facia with the Ford Racing Bumper Bar (similar to the Watson 2013 302S version) in an attempt to improve airflow across the Setrab Oil Cooler:

IMG_1228_zpsk6eoh3p3.png

IMG_1229_zpsmglljzdb.png

Will test at RA this weekend......

Is that a full radiator shroud or is just something to try and bring airflow around the setrab?

drano38

Wayne

Finally finished installing the Watson roll bar.
Definitely a slow and tedious project. Every hole I drilled was off. So I had to open up all the holes to 1/2" and even ovaled one out more. But it worked and thats what counts.
And I wish I would have bought a rear seat delete kit instead of making one. Better part of 2 weekends on that project. Put carpet pad and carpet on both sides of boards so should be good sound deadening.

Got the Cool Tech clips & 06Mach1 six point bracket installed on the driver side. Will install my new Crow harness Sunday.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Fiddler49 said:
The latest Laguna Feca...

Laguna%20Feca%202.jpg
Laguna%20Feca%201.jpg
Laguna%20Feca%203.jpg

Fiddler 49er:

Your 2013 Boss 302 is looking sweet, Nice Choice on the wheels and tires plus I know she sounds good with the KSS headers.

Good luck and enjoy her.
Dave
2HP

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Sean said:
Is that a full radiator shroud or is just something to try and bring airflow around the setrab?

It attaches to the existing full shroud, so it eliminates leakage for both the Setrab and the Radiator. It reduced both Coolant and Oil Temps significantly. I have posted the template and details in the "How To" thread, here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10074.0

TMO Supporting Vendors