The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel and tire fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
I’ve searched high and low on this sight but can’t find the answer to my question. Lots of good info here but I’m trying to figure out what offset I can run without rubbing the fender. Factory tire size 245 45R19 on a 2010 Mustang GT convertible. I’m buying new 19” wheels bc I wanted black and like to push the tires outward so they’re not tucked under the car so much. The factory wheel I have seen is ET50 and I see guys are running 30mm spacers just fine so I wanted to go with a wheel that is ET20, but my concern is I’m also installing the Eibach pro street coils and dropping it 1.5” front and back. Does anyone know if this setup will work? Thanks

Are you looking to track the car?? If yiur just going for looks and want to stay 19 a black sve drift in 19x9.5 will fit great and push the wheels out to the fenders. And you don't have to change anything and there Relatively cheap.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tennessee
Are you looking to track the car?? If yiur just going for looks and want to stay 19 a black sve drift in 19x9.5 will fit great and push the wheels out to the fenders. And you don't have to change anything and there Relatively cheap.
I second this. SVE drifts are some of the best wheels out there for the price. If they aren't really the look you're going for, the general rule of thumb, at least on the 2011s (I believe they would be the same but not certain) is a 35 offset for any 9.5 wide wheel. If you go wider, say a 10, generally you are looking at about a 40 offset. If you want to keep the same tire size, I would still look at around a 35 offset. In case you don't fully understand, offset is, in layman's terms, how far the hub of the wheel is pushed inward or outward. So, if you had a 19x9.5 +35, and a 19x8.5 +35, they would sit equally flush with the wheel well, but they one would have more rim under the car. Hopefully this helps!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
Thanks for the reply’s. This is an extra vehicle I bought to drive around on sunny days. I’m solely going for looks. I want black wheels and wanted to get them with an offset that pushes them out flush with the fenders. I’ve read online that 25-30mm spacers do the trick and I’ve also read that my factory wheels are a +50, therefore the new wheel needs to be a +20-25 to get it out flush with the fender. I have found some wheels that are a +20, but am concerned that I haven’t been able to confirm fitment on a lowered s197 only a stock height. Thanks for any info.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tennessee
1616511294226.png
This is from a Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT track car build. The thread is pretty easy to find, and they cover a LOT on wheel fitment. This one is with a 18x9.5 with a +20. I, personally, am not a fan of the slight poke these wheels have, but in case you haven't seen a picture of the +20 wheels, this is what they would look like.

Edit: Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear before. The 20 offset WILL fit, but a more common one is 35. Either work, and at that point it is just up to personal preference. So those XXRs will work for sure.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
View attachment 63743
This is from a Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT track car build. The thread is pretty easy to find, and they cover a LOT on wheel fitment. This one is with a 18x9.5 with a +20. I, personally, am not a fan of the slight poke these wheels have, but in case you haven't seen a picture of the +20 wheels, this is what they would look like.View attachment 63743
This is from a Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT track car build. The thread is pretty easy to find, and they cover a LOT on wheel fitment. This one is with a 18x9.5 with a +20. I, personally, am not a fan of the slight poke these wheels have, but in case you haven't seen a picture of the +20 wheels, this is what
View attachment 63743
This is from a Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT track car build. The thread is pretty easy to find, and they cover a LOT on wheel fitment. This one is with a 18x9.5 with a +20. I, personally, am not a fan of the slight poke these wheels have, but in case you haven't seen a picture of the +20 wheels, this is what they would look like.

Edit: Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear before. The 20 offset WILL fit, but a more common one is 35. Either work, and at that point it is just up to personal preference. So those XXRs will work for sure.
Thank you very much for the info! I will try and find that thread. Apparently I was searching for the wrong term or phrase bc I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
View attachment 63743

Looking at this car in the photo it appears to be stock ride height and will allow for the suspension to go up and down and not come into contact with the fender. Mine is lowered 1.5” so I don’t understand how if the tire pokes out past the fender it won’t come into contact when going over humps.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tennessee
Looking at this car in the photo it appears to be stock ride height and will allow for the suspension to go up and down and not come into contact with the fender. Mine is lowered 1.5” so I don’t understand how if the tire pokes out past the fender it won’t come into contact when going over humps.
Sorry, I missed the part about you being lowered. I know people running eibach sportlines (~1.3 inches front, ~2 inches rear) that run a 19x9.5 +35 and have very minimal rubbing. I believe if you look at 19x9.5 XXR wheels, you can find quite a few in the same price range, but with a 35 offset, which would minimize rubbing. I can't swear you won't rub at all, but it would likely be very occasional.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
Sorry, I missed the part about you being lowered. I know people running eibach sportlines (~1.3 inches front, ~2 inches rear) that run a 19x9.5 +35 and have very minimal rubbing. I believe if you look at 19x9.5 XXR wheels, you can find quite a few in the same price range, but with a 35 offset, which would minimize rubbing. I can't swear you won't rub at all, but it would likely be very occasional.
I’m running the Eibach pro which drops it 1.5” front and rear. I was trying to stay as close to the original wheel size as possible which is a 19x8.5 bc I didn’t want to run into fitment issues as I’m obviously a newbie at this. I just wanted to push the tire out a bit to give it a better stance. I’ve seen online including this site where folks run 30mm spacers/adapters on the s197 which would be equivalent to me running a +20 wheel, but my issue is trying to find someone who has that setup while being lowered.

Here you go: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Put in your current/OEM set up on the left. You can include some basic measurements for more accurate results if you're not adverse to spending the time to do so. Then you can put the specifications for your new set up on the right to compare the two and see how it changes your dimensions/clearances.

Dirty example comparison between the OEM Brembo wheel & tire package and the Apex 19x11 ET26 running on 305/30R19 PS4S. Keep in mind you'll have to account for a spacer, if you plan to use one, in the offset calculation.

1616516099907.png
1616516251060.png

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
Here you go: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Put in your current/OEM set up on the left. You can include some basic measurements for more accurate results if you're not adverse to spending the time to do so. Then you can put the specifications for your new set up on the right to compare the two and see how it changes your dimensions/clearances.

Dirty example comparison between the OEM Brembo wheel & tire package and the Apex 19x11 ET26 running on 305/30R19 PS4S. Keep in mind you'll have to account for a spacer, if you plan to use one, in the offset calculation.

View attachment 63744
View attachment 63746
Thank you for this, but I’m trying to find the clearance of my fender well. I know the new wheel will push my Tire out 30mm. And I know 30mm is doable on an s197 but what I don’t know is if it’s doable once lowered 1.5”. That’s what I’m looking for. If my tire pokes out slightly will it come into contact with my fender while driving down the road.

Thank you for this, but I’m trying to find the clearance of my fender well. I know the new wheel will push my Tire out 30mm. And I know 30mm is doable on an s197 but what I don’t know is if it’s doable once lowered 1.5”. That’s what I’m looking for. If my tire pokes out slightly will it come into contact with my fender while driving down the road.
That's data the tool covers. Like I mentioned before, if you feed it the correct current clearances, it will give you your new clearances under the 'Clearances' category with the measured changes (as shown in my first post). For instance, if after subtracting the change (in the Clearances category) from the original measurement you only have 1" clearance in the fender well, you know it won't fit (interference, if to be further dropped by 1.5").
1616523122265.png
You can also see how the tire selection changes your fitment as well. With the particular PS4S I plugged in, my overall wheel height decreased even though they're both on 19" wheels. So that's an important datapoint to also consider.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
That's data the tool covers. Like I mentioned before, if you feed it the correct current clearances, it will give you your new clearances under the 'Clearances' category with the measured changes (as shown in my first post). For instance, if after subtracting the change (in the Clearances category) from the original measurement you only have 1" clearance in the fender well, you know it won't fit (interference, if to be further dropped by 1.5").
View attachment 63753
You can also see how the tire selection changes your fitment as well. With the particular PS4S I plugged in, my overall wheel height decreased even though they're both on 19" wheels. So that's an important datapoint to also consider.
Ok, I’m sorry I don’t see that. I don’t see those drop down boxes on my screen. That makes more sense and will definitely help me. Thanks.

Ok, I’m sorry I don’t see that. I don’t see those drop down boxes on my screen. That makes more sense and will definitely help me. Thanks.
No problem, they're off to the left-hand side at the top of the page near the diagrams. If you're on mobile, you can try fetching the 'Desktop Site' in the options if it's not displaying properly.
1616527652908.png

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Kansas city
Ok the wife just got home with the stang so I went out and measured. Why would I have 1 1/8” on drivers side and 1 5/8 on passenger side for clearance? That seems really odd.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
We're coming out with a 19x9" ET34 wheel in both the SM-10 and EC-7 design. It will sit pretty flush with outer fender lip if you're running factory camber settings and a 255 or 265 width tire. There are a number of factors that go into wheel fitment beyond just width and offset.

TMO Supporting Vendors