The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ran my Boss all summer and fall with out the washer bottle installed. Never once needed it. Drove in the rain a few times, so I guess I better keep the wipers. I do carry a spray can of window cleaner in the trunk though just in case.

2012YellowBoss said:
After all what is the worst that can happen, need to make a gas station pit stop for two minutes to clean the windshield?
Excellent point. I have never used the washer although I did use the wipers once when it rained during my first track day. In fact I've never tested the washer so I don't even know if it works. :eek:

5 DOT 0 said:
The Roush side splitters add 20 lbs. of downforce over 150 MPH. ;)

Thank you potholes. No news on the FRPP springs and I don't expect any for maybe two more months.

I wouldn't go out and buy the CJ grill until we have further confirmation that it will work with a stock hood. The only one I know of installed on a Boss so far uses a 302S hood. See below. It clearly states that it will not work with a 2010 hood. Maybe the 2011+ hood has as slightly different design?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2010_COBRA_JET_GRILLE_p/m-5767-cj10.htm

http://www.race-mart.com/Ford_Racing-FMS-M-5767-CJ10.html

..Do you have a picture & or part number for the Roush side splitters (all I could find was decals)?
Also, any idea how much weight the FRP hood saves?
- Has anyone done a front/rear pinned FRP hood (to eliminate the hood hinges which, at least on other cars, I've noticed to be quite heavy).
Last - does the Kooks change the tone or loudness of the exhaust?

...Anyone running 19x10 all around?

Thanks,
Lee.

CobraJetGrill.jpg

I've read about a couple of guys that have installed the Steeda Boss lowering springs but only one that tried them on a track. He liked the improvements. Ford Racing is working on track specific springs so I'm waiting to see what they come up with first before making any decisions. I'll install camber plates and springs at the same time in late Winter or early Spring.

Roush Side Splitters, you can catch them on sale.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ROUSH-SIDE-SKIRT-KIT-2010-2012/p/GER11/

P1020843.jpg

The hood can save 10+ pounds depending on if you use the CF or FG versions. I've seen a photo where someone removed the hinges and used six hood pins.

I haven't seen anyone using 19x10 but have seen 18x10 on all four corners.

cloud9 said:
Next up, paint the black center. Then a couple coats of clear and it's done 8)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How much does Ford want for that hood? (& thanks for posting)

Between a new hood & relocating battery to the trunk (or Odessey 680 @ 13 lbs. up front), 55 lbs at minimum could be taken off the front scales, with even better f/r bias if battery is moved to the trunk.

The hood is from Tiger Racing. The fiberglass hood is $795 plus $60 to box it and then add shipping. In my case I bought two (one for a friend) and we shipped them together for a total freight cost of $200 ($100 each). The carbon fiber hoods are $1295.

The hood comes from tiger racing
CF was $1500 shipped and weighs in a little under 13lbs
FG is about $800 (don't remember exactly) and weighs around 20 lbs

Actually I found my email from Paul. He lists all the info including weights. However, they keep bringing the weight of the fiberglass down by reducing the amount of resin needed as they refine the process. When I finally placed my order they were down to 22 lbs. and when mine arrived it was stamped 20lbs:

Gary,

The hoods come finished in a white gel coat for fiberglass and gray epoxy primer on the carbon, both with the louvers rough trimmed open. Attached are pictures of a fiberglass hood as shipped. Fiberglass hoods run $749, carbon is $1295, a $60 box fee is applied to either and freight is $181.44 if shipped next week to a commercial address, residential usually adds about $50. Freight prices change almost daily and this quote is good for the week.

Carbon hoods are non-cosmetic and are primarily for weight reduction, not show. Due to the nature of "real" carbon, imprinting of the top surface is normal and will take extra work to be finished if that is not acceptable. Fiberglass is recommended for street or show cars.

The carbon race hood is 14lbs, but no latch for the street, carbon street is 16lbs. and fiberglass is averaging about 25lbs now. Stock aluminum hood is 30lbs.

Current lead time about a week, we accept PayPal or checks/money orders for payment. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to place an order

Thanks

Paul Brown
General Manager
Tiger Racing
626-967-6796
www.tiger-racing.com

The hood is done. They were going to sandblast the red off the tow hooks so they can powdercoat them black, but it wasn't coming off so they're going to burn it off! Should have them back next week. Anyway, here's the hood. Sorry about the poor cell phone pics and low lighting, they don't do it justice at all. The sun only gets about 20 degrees above the horizon this time of year ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel