The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

Re: Moroso versus JLT?

2012YellowBoss said:
No, still some things to figure out like the vapor return lines. It is on the list with the drive shaft, shifter, new brakes, scaling back the splitter etc, etc.... I hope to get to it when the dealer finishes up the pressure plate replacement.
Why are you scaling back the splitter?

Were you able to confirm the part number for the hose and two connectors?

5 DOT 0 said:
Why are you scaling back the splitter?

Were you able to confirm the part number for the hose and two connectors?

I think it is a little too long and I feel the sides are flexing too much. I wanted to put the Gopro up there pointed down to see for sure but I'm afraid to stick it to the clear bar. However the corners flex fairly easy when you touch them. Anyway got that done plus some fluid swaps and the brake lines are done, getting there.

I have not picked up the part from the dealer yet, I will be going in on Monday.

I have the Moroso seperator. Today I was bored and decided I would drain it. I have only had it installed for about 800 miles, but still got about 1/4 inch of oil in a shot glass. That's all street miles, and installed on the passenger side. Doesn't sound like much oil, but I would rather have it in the catch can than sucked into my intake. Well worth it.

2012YellowBoss said:
We looked up the part numbers for the connectors and came up with CR3Z-6A664-A, that is the entire hose hose on the right side from the PCV to the intake (I hope). It is cheaper to get the entire hose with the connectors $12 -10% at my dealer 7 or 8 at fordpartsgiant then to buy the connectors by themselves.

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-hose-vent_cr3z-6a664-a.html
I can confirm that this is the correct part and I now have one. That's a good price and my dealer charged me $20.93. This is the same dealer that marked up Bosses by $20K and LSes by $40K and I did not buy my Boss there. :eek: I try to not do business there but they are the closest dealer to my home. The next closest dealer has the same onwer. :mad:

5 DOT 0 said:
I can confirm that this is the correct part and I now have one. That's a good price and my dealer charged me $20.93. This is the same dealer that marked up Bosses by $20K and LSes by $40K and I did not buy my Boss there. :eek: I try to not do business there but they are the closest dealer to my home. The next closest dealer has the same onwer. :mad:

Yep, I have it and test fitted the AN12 hose. It is a little loose but I am able to tighten it down OK. I still have to figure out a few things with the vapor return (and get my car back) to finish up.

2012YellowBoss said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Yep, I have it and test fitted the AN12 hose. It is a little loose but I am about to tighten it down OK. I still have to figure out a few things with the vapor return (and get my car back) to finish up.
The AN10 hose is a tight fit on those connectors.

Thanks. I need to find out if I can just run the two line to the canister and why I may need to disconnect the vapor system. It has connector so I am sure it will throw a code. One nice thing if I can disconnect the system is that I will take off the canister on the rear of the car. That thing weighs a ton.

I drove an 08 without one and it did have a code but no real effect on the car as far as I know.

Georgia

Just crious, but what brand/manuf. is Ford Racing using in the Boss 302S cars. Is their system available over the counter?

bluemax said:
Just crious, but what brand/manuf. is Ford Racing using in the Boss 302S cars. Is their system available over the counter?
It's this one but it's not a bolt on install. At least not until 2012YellowBoss finishes his install. ;D

http://hoerr-racing-products.amazonwebstore.com/BREATHER-CAN-12-AN-PORTSPTR080400/M/B002GOPHRY.htm

5 DOT 0 said:
It's this one but it's not a bolt on install. At least not until 2012YellowBoss finishes his install. ;D

http://hoerr-racing-products.amazonwebstore.com/BREATHER-CAN-12-AN-PORTSPTR080400/M/B002GOPHRY.htm

I should have this done in no time now (if I ever get my Boss back). It turns out I may not have been clear in my question on the vapor return lines. They will be left alone, just capping the passenger intake and the intake tube where the hose runs from the drivers PCV.

Thanks to Dean and the Rehagen team I was able to figure out the cap issue. Just 1/2 vacuum caps, grabbed a set on the way home.

CIMG2648.png

Got the canister installed today. Funny but the car did not search for an idle like it did when I just gutted the PCV before. It may have to do with the fact the vacuum is just capped off now. I would like to have the cut-out added to the firewall of the 13, that would make it easier to get at the cap.

CIMG2688.png
CIMG2690.jpg

bluemax said:
That looks really nice. :)

How did you mount to the firewall?

With very thick plastic push pins (really). I wanted to get a nut and bolt but it looked like too much work taking the dash apart. Then I thought about self tapping type bolts but was afraid the vibration would weaken the sheetmetal on the firewall over time. The push pins seem to work well on things like the rear defuser so I gave them a try. The hoses hold the can in place as it is but will not know for sure until I hit the track again.

Scott that looks great! Good job man. Let us know how it holds up on the track. Can you post a detailed parts description that you used for everything? Thanks.

Dark Horse said:
Scott, where did you source your vacuum from for the canister?

No vacuum, that is the main point, getting rid of the pressure frees up some ponies. I just ran the hoses to the canister, removed the passenger PVC valve, broke out the internals and replaced the empty tube. When I did this the car hardly searched for a new idle but if you do this start it up and let it idle for a few minutes before driving.

I am not one to make wild claims but I really think I feel more power, mainly at lower to mid RPM's with this mod. It could be in my head but sure felt better to me, I will know more after a track event this weekend.

adam81 said:
Scott that looks great! Good job man. Let us know how it holds up on the track. Can you post a detailed parts description that you used for everything? Thanks.

Adam, sorry did not see this before. I used the can posted above, reference the amazon link since it is listed at $150 on the normal site. I used AN12 hose but like Rick said the AN10 would fit the connections for the hose better. They may have a connection that uses 12 on one end (canister) and 10 on the other (hose) or they may have a AN10 canister, don't know. This works fine but if I changed anything it would be the hose size, won't change the way it works but it would be a tighter/better fit on the fitting to the hoses in the valve covers.

MY 1000th post, I really need a life ;)

Nice job Scott, very professional! HOW ABOUT SELLING A READY TO INSTALL KIT, I would want one.

Dave

fiddlefadel said:
Nice job Scott, very professional! HOW ABOUT SELLING A READY TO INSTALL KIT, I would want one.

Dave it was a little bit of a pain to put together but now that I have done it should be easy.

What you need and need to do.
Parts
1. The hose from the valve cover to the intake CR3Z-6A664-A for the fittings (or use the old one on the car but you will destroy it)
2. Help bypass cap assortment at any auto parts store and 4 hose clamps.
3. Canister with fittings from Hoerr. I have AN12 from them but if they have AN10 that would be better (not sure). http://hoerr-racing-products.amazonwebstore.com/BREATHER-CAN-12-AN-PORTSPTR080400/M/B002GOPHRY.htm
4. About four feet of hose AN12 or 10 depending on the fittings.

to do
1. Break out the valve from passenger PCV and re-use the blue tube, drivers side is all set as is.
2. Cut the hose to length.
3. Mount the canister to the firewall as you like, I used black push pins but if you can get in there nuts and bolts are fine.
4. Cap off the vacuum on the air intake tube after removing the hose from the drivers side valve cover and cap off the vacuum on the passenger intake when you remove that hose.

CIMG2648.png

These were first photos, I have shortened the hoses since then.
CIMG2688.png
CIMG2690.jpg

The system worked flawlessly during a hard trackweekend. The pushpin setup I used had no problems and I think is a good way to go, as I said the hoses do a lot to hold it in place.

There was only a light coat of oil in the canister, in line with what I saw on the race cars this year.

IMHO, I think it is a must do for trackers.

TMO Supporting Vendors