The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

Re: Moroso versus JLT?

2012YellowBoss said:
The system worked flawlessly during a hard trackweekend. The pushpin setup I used had no problems and I think is a good way to go, as I said the hoses do a lot to hold it in place.

There was only a light coat of oil in the canister, in line with what I saw on the race cars this year.

IMHO, I think it is a must do for trackers.

Hey Scott or 2012 YellowBoss,
I am adding this improvement to my car. Can you post some close up pictures of your pushpin mounting & the push pins? I assume they are just like ones that hold trim pieces on. Did you drill holes in the firewall or use some existing ones? I suppose if you use nuts & bolts you have to have access from inside the car. Does anyone know how this breather can is mounted on the Boss 302S racecars? Thanks!
bulldogracer-Ken

Sorry no close up pics of the mount, car is at the shop now. The pins I use are the thickest I could find (stole them from the body shop at the dealer ::) ). I should have noted the size hole drilled but did not think about it when installing however I drilled the smallest possible holes in the firewall that would accept the push pin, there were no existing holes or dimples. You can get a couple of extra pins and drill a few test holes in some sheet metal to find the best fit, you want a fair amount of pressure to get it in but not to the point of forcing them.

As far as the 302S goes, I am not sure how they are mounted, maybe Smitty can look but I would assume they are held in with nut and bolt. This will work if you have two people and I believe there is plenty ofroom in the area but it will be very hard to get at from inside.

Couple of tips: I tried to stay as far from the battery as possible but that was a mistake since it is closer to the valve cover now (or the plastic coil cover). As long as it is not touching the battery you will be fine. Make sure you have room up top to be able to remove the top or you will need to take the hoses off each time to clean it out. I mounted the bracket low (can't even see it in the pics) so if I need to pull the can out for some reason it would be easier, also there are creases in the firewall I was trying to find a good flat spot. In the end if you have the bracket higher I doubt it would make much of a difference.

pin.png

Scott,
Thanks for the info. That breather can is alot bigger than I thought. It doesn't look that big in the pictures. Yeah not much room to fit it like you said either close to the battery or plastic cover.

Ken

andrewlewis128

Thinking about getting an grease separator regarding the passenger side... Had been thinking if anybody had just about any viewpoints about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the simple fact that is has every one of the steel fittings. Looks like you may encounter less problems alongside it breaking... Just about any thoughts? (I understand the Moroso is a a little more expensive, however I'd very pay a bit more if it's going to final longer. I known though which I could very well want to substitute those"heater hoses" as they're not designed to withstand oil)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
If I ever decide to install one of these, I have to go against the grain here and say that I'd actually prefer the simpler and understated look of the JLT setup, with the can black and not metal finish. In my eyes, I'd like the functionality of the part and have it be installed to look like it came like that from the factory. I'm not bashing anyone's preference to make the part more noticeable with higher quality fittings and connectors. However I really like the overall beauty of the engine compartment as delivered from the factory. For this reason I will be getting rid of the lame sound tube because I'd like to see more of the engine, and less ugly hose.

As the only thing the oil separator hoses are tasked with carrying is oil vapor under relatively low pressure, then the JLT looks to be ideal for me. Are there situations on the track where high temp and high RPM loads could cause the 'less robust' JLT to fail? If there is a legit reason why you would think the more expensive fittings that double the cost are justified (besides looks), I'd like to hear them. I can't see the stock OEM grade hoses 'wearing out' over time, if properly cared for and maintained.

So I'm just expressing my preference for 'vanilla' in this mostly 'chocolate' thread.

ace72ace said:
As the only thing the oil separator hoses are tasked with carrying is oil vapor under relatively low pressure, then the JLT looks to be ideal for me. Are there situations on the track where high temp and high RPM loads could cause the 'less robust' JLT to fail? If there is a legit reason why you would think the more expensive fittings that double the cost are justified (besides looks), I'd like to hear them. I can't see the stock OEM grade hoses 'wearing out' over time, if properly cared for and maintained.

So I'm just expressing my preference for 'vanilla' in this mostly 'chocolate' thread.
There have been several failures of the original JLT fittings documented here and elsewhere. The Vanilla fittings break where chocolate ones don't. :D JLT is aware of the problem and I believe now include metal fittings.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
So you are saying the problem is now fixed? Good news.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/front-page-news-143/789246-svtperformance-separation-anxiety-jlt-oil-separator-review.html

Like the looks of the black.

However, if they haven't fixed the design flaw from the plastic fittings snapping off as detailed in this post, then indeed I can see why you would want to bypass this brand and buy an aluminum can that has aluminum and not plastic fittings.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/804791-jlt-oil-separator-repair.html

If I get one, I'll post up my preferred flavor if vanilla is just too wimpy. Maybe 'moose tracks' ;)

I will be installing the Moroso Oil Separator next weekend. I'll be using the fuel hose that comes with the kit. However, I have ordered a couple of these springs to insert into the hoses, so that they don't have any chance to collapse under vacuum.

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-7-6-Stainless-length-Compression-Spring/dp/B002P4SQ3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1340715685&sr=1-1&keywords=ST7-41+spring

Plus I'll be using some spring-type clamps so that the install looks and functions as well as if the separator was OEM. I'll post a couple photos when done.

5 DOT 0 said:
Those springs aren't necessary. I purchased these clamps from Summit and they have a nice appearance.

P1020963.jpg

Unfortunately, the springs are necessary if you don't upgrade the hoses. I did consider the hose and clamps you are using, but the extra $60 or so shipped was more than I wanted to spend. Thanks for the photo.

I installed the JLT yesterday. I made five passes in the 1/4 mile. I checked the separator this morning. It had oil. I'm happy with the JLT. It doesn't give me any power but it seems like it must be better for the motor. I would have never known about it, if not for this forum. Thanks guys!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
seca954 said:
I installed the JLT yesterday. I made five passes in the 1/4 mile. I checked the separator this morning. It had oil. I'm happy with the JLT. It doesn't give me any power but it seems like it must be better for the motor. I would have never known about it, if not for this forum. Thanks guys!
are you running a passenger side or drivers side or both?

Justin said:
seca954 said:
are you running a passenger side or drivers side or both?

I only installed the passenger side unit.

SoFlaBoss said:
I will be installing the Moroso Oil Separator next weekend. I'll be using the fuel hose that comes with the kit. However, I have ordered a couple of these springs to insert into the hoses, so that they don't have any chance to collapse under vacuum.

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-7-6-Stainless-length-Compression-Spring/dp/B002P4SQ3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1340715685&sr=1-1&keywords=ST7-41+spring

Plus I'll be using some spring-type clamps so that the install looks and functions as well as if the separator was OEM. I'll post a couple photos when done.

I installed my Moroso oil separator yesterday, and I'm very happy with the result. The only extra parts I bought were the above mentioned springs and spring clamps. I also painted the stainless steel bracket satin black. Below are some photos, as promised.

IMG_6952.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6970.jpg

IMG_6972.jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6975.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks good. Did you consider painting the brass fittings black too?

Thanks. Didn't think about painting the brass fittings, as they match the brass fittings on my linelock solenoid on the other side of the engine compartment, LOL.

Steve or anyone else who can weigh in: If I were to install an open breather tank with a filter open to the atmosphere like this one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/moroso-breather-tank.html

and route both cam cover breather hoses to it, and then plug both vacuum port side connectors (at the throttle body and the intake tube), would I get a check engine light due to vacuum leak? Basically I would be doing away with the PCV system, and just have an open breather.

I have done this on my supercharged '97 BMW M3 which has OBD-II, and it does not give me a check engine light, but I thought maybe the Ford engine computer is a little smarter.

drano38

Wayne
SoFlaBoss,
Great looking install there!
My JLT doesn't look as nice, but I can remove it in about 5 seconds, open the cap, drain it, and reinstall it in about a 2 minutes.
They all have their advantages.

TMO Supporting Vendors