The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
my best for the VIR Winterfest weekend was 2.14:05. Disappointing showing with the new MM/JRi coil over suspension. Previous PB of 2.12:89 still stands for now but I think the track was a little slower than in November and my tires were just about heat cycled out. I did experiment with lighter rate (350 vs. 375) rear springs and the car felt better off the corners. With the harness misfire issues it just wasn't a good weekend for the 21. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Steve

Good to see you again Steve. You will not regret the harness or coil over upgrade.

The track was definitely slower than November. My time only improved 2 tenths and I was pushing harder than my first visit to VIR, with more confidence in the line, less traffic and more track time....

First time to VIR for Winterfest. What a great challenging track. Stock Boss street tires best off 2:18.80. Bought a used set of BBS wheels and Hoosier R6 tires pretty used up but was much quicker. 2:14.91 Highest MPH was 143. Only did 7 laps on the R6 tire then car would not shift?? Very stiff. On Wednesday I was visiting family in SC and decided to take it off the trailer and go for a ride. Hard to shift but seemed to get better the more I drove it. Maybe trans got to hot?

Matt

Matt, I had somewhat of a similar problem, turned out the clutch had failed. If you're still on the stock clutch, that may very well be your problem as well.

Went to Steve's Villa Saturday night for dinner(thanks Steve) everyone seem to think it was the clutch. I think if I keep going to the track I will need to upgrade the shifter and clutch.

Matt

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Matt, my car shifted great from 2011-2013 with stock trans, MGW shifter and stock clutch. Only missed shift/lockout I had was at Summit Point when the stock clutch disc springs exploded and jammed the pressure plate. Put a McLeod RST in there and no shift issues since. As to the toughness of the MT-82, I drove that car home 300 miles with no clutch, shifting from 2nd to 5th the whole way. Started from stop signs and traffic lights with the starter. Trans is in a crate as my backup (had a different backup that I installed when I did the clutch) If you plan on doing work give me a PM, I work cheaper than most shops.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I think at this moment I will wait till spring and bring it to the dealer to make sure the trans is fine then maybe install a clutch later.
Matt

Black Boss, What is the On-Video graphic of the MPH and RPM gauges you are using for the Youtube lap time videos? They look exactly like the stock Boss gauges.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMhLZnUw6xo&feature=youtu.be

Last year at the SVT Superfest. First time at VIR so I was still learning the track. Consistent 2:10 with a best 2:09. So far I think VIR is my favorite American track.

Adam

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
:)
cp85gt said:
Black Boss, What is the On-Video graphic of the MPH and RPM gauges you are using for the Youtube lap time videos? They look exactly like the stock Boss gauges.

It's one of the gauge options in AIM. I believe they were intended to replicate the Boss gauges :)

Eagles Canyon Raceway
Tempature 58 F
Brake pads: Carbotech front XP24 rear XP20
Tires: BFG Rivals 295/35r18 tread wear rating 200
Engine: stock GT engine est 376 hp to read wheels
Lap time: 2:03:54

f069e605-570c-4f1d-9c8c-1644babca4bc_zpsdb47d704.jpg

Sorry no video. I can't find my gopro mount.

Road America

2010 Boss 302R. So purchasing a Boss 302R/S from Ford is one thing, racing it professionally or competitively to win is another deal. All/most to be competitive have Roush-Yates Motor, different coil overs, rear gears, Trans gears redone, intake work, dry-sump to shift weight, side exhaust in WC trim, although most have stock exhaust headers by rules. 2014's have the 380mm Brembo's that will help at RA.

Anyway, the Motor is worth 4-5 sec at RA, but it's $20K.

So my as delivered Boss 302R, 2:24.885

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/results/t1%20practice.pdf

Have super cool video, from 2013 Race that i need to post.

8375C204-EACA-42B9-B144-53DB15D3CB40_zpsge4ziopx.png

Last week at VIR with the Trackdaze "Open Event". The day was outstanding; intermediate and advanced drivers only, no class, open passing, four 30 min sessions and a final 2 hr session.

H&R race
Koni yellows
Hancook Ventus RS-3 street tires
DTC 60s
Red Key

I gotta get a new clutch, I kept losing ground on the back stretch when shifting.

13Boss said:
Further, what size RS-3s are you running? How do you like them?

The RS-3s are 285/35/18 (140 treadwear) on 18x10 wheels square. The BFG Rivals I had before were 295/35/18. I believe the new RS-3s have a 200 wear rating, but I'm not sure. Both the Hancooks and BFGs have excellent grip (far superior to the stock Pirellis) and predictability. Comparing the two, I would say that the Hancooks have slightly more grip but less sliding noise. Comparing both to R-comp Conti knockoffs, I would say the biggest difference is braking distances. Rotating around turns, they feel similar, but going to R-comps will really help compress braking zones (even too much for my nerves). I really want to throw on some R6s and rock.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel