The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
mustangmatt said:
It was nice to meet Stevepro at limerock and hangout a little. Wet track day 3 year old pzeros didn't like it nor did the driver. Best lap was in the last run group 1:05.413. Stock car with track key and open side pipes. I think I under estimated the cool temps. I haven't driven the track since 08. Derek with the new tires on drove by me like I was standing still. Good lap.

Matt

Nice seeing you out there again Matt. The track was very cold yesterday... I was amazed at how tail happy the car was that first session in the wet.

I had a blast on the new tires. You drove the stock Pirelli's very well though on that cold track! With the R1's I think the car and driver can take a good deal more time off laps. I can't wait to learn the car with these tires next season. Are you done for 2014 now or will you make it out again?

Derek

I think i'm done for a while. Didn't really buy the car to track it all the time but really enjoyed Thompson and started to get the fever back. I figured I would try Limerock in it to see what it would do stock. Pretty happy with the lap time with the cold day. I was trying to figure out what gear to go through big ben in. I noticed you used fourth. I tried down shifting before the corner to 3rd but thought it over slowed the car. Then I tried shifting in the middle to 3rd and I think it works. Never thought to try fourth? Next time. I still do not like the stock shifter I kept missing 4th going in 6th up no name. Good luck.

Matt

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
New BMO PB at Lime Rock for me. Not quite as good as Derek but not too shabby. 1:02.87 on Continental take offs, 275/305, fought understeer and also got black flagged for sound in the first session. Had to reduce redline /shift point down from 7700 to 7200, also did not use 3rd gear which cost some straight line speed but not much. Ran with SCDA in Advance Group along with Pete and Steve K. Also ran Friday with Derek and Matt, well represented Mustang contingent. There were 2 Z28's, a 1LE and a ZR1 running in Inter 2. They were quick, Pete timed the fast z28 at 1:02.8 but I think they must have gotten into the 1:01 or even 1:00 bracket. Fast for sure but not invincible as Derek demonstrates.

Video of a few laps leading to my best;
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8fNgzPrb_IY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
steveespo said:
New BMO PB at Lime Rock for me. Not quite as good as Derek but not too shabby. 1:02.87 on Continental take offs, 275/305, fought understeer and also got black flagged for sound in the first session. Had to reduce redline /shift point down from 7700 to 7200, also did not use 3rd gear which cost some straight line speed but not much. Ran with SCDA in Advance Group along with Pete and Steve K. Also ran Friday with Derek and Matt, well represented Mustang contingent. There were 2 Z28's, a 1LE and a ZR1 running in Inter 2. They were quick, Pete timed the fast z28 at 1:02.8 but I think they must have gotten into the 1:01 or even 1:00 bracket. Fast for sure but not invincible as Derek demonstrates.

Steve

Very nicely done Steve - quick lap!! What group was the Z28 in? I ran with one at Thompson on my streets. It was well driven and definitely faster, but it just slowly pulled away. I'd love to run with one once I get a little more time on the R1's (or the Conti's I just ordered... found a great deal).

Your car flies out of the corners. Are you WOT over the uphill? I am getting so light even under maintenance throttle over the uphill, I can't muster the courage to get on the gas any earlier than once the car settles. From the video, it sounded like you're hard on the gas coming over the crest.

It's too bad LRP is so strict on noise. You're still running 3.55's right? I don't even bother with my 3rd gear with my 3.73's. I am topping out 4th (with stock redline of ~6800) on the back straight with the slightly shorter tires. Really would like to get 3.55's or tuning, but the whole warranty thing is holding me back!!

Anyways, looks like you had a beautiful day. Glad to see you ran a PB as well!!

Nice driving guys. We need video of you guys dicing with the Z/28's.

One more track day for me at Sonoma next Saturday. Not that we don't need it but it might rain that day. :eek:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It was great talking to Matt, who although new to the Forum is an old SCCA racer with Nationals experience. Hope to see you out there more next season, the East Coast BMO race team needs some hotshoes to compete with the guys west of the Mississippi. I claim Nick (Black Boss) for the East as well! 8)

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Tucson302 said:
Which compound and where was the great deal?

NASA forums. $200 for 4 tires with 1 heat cycle on them. Couldn't say no... I believe the compound is G6000. I'll use these for HPDE only, and all the slicks are beyond my capabilities as a driver at this point.

Over on SVT forums there is also a guy who sells these out of Florida for the same price. I'm tempted to buy a couple sets, but I have a feeling I might go with wider tires down the road. I'm currently sitting on 3 sets of slicks counting these... should get me through next season.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
steveespo said:
It was great talking to Matt, who although new to the Forum is an old SCCA racer with Nationals experience. Hope to see you out there more next season, the East Coast BMO race team needs some hotshoes to compete with the guys west of the Mississippi. I claim Nick (Black Boss) for the East as well! 8)

Starting a little east coast - west coast rivalry Steve? Someone out here needs to get one of those big Mack truck rigs to tow a bunch of our cars out west for a "left coast tour"

Steve I think we need a young guy who has the fever. Maybe Derek. Did the whole SCCA nationals and runoffs spent a lot of time and big $ to be competitive. It's nice to get on track with no pressure and just turn some laps. Trying not to get the bug again.
Matt

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Need some sponsors ;D

Matt - did you race with a sponsored team? Or was it mostly self-funded? I basically max my budget out each year simply on HPDE's (although hopefully that will be a little better next year instructing...). Pratt & Whitney pays the bills, but certainly nothing more than that unfortunately. Keep waiting for that big raise ::)

I did a lot myself but also had help. I had a transmission, Tires, fuel sponsor, my engine builder only charged me for labor. When you start winning all your competitors want what you have so he sold a lot of engines. Rule of thumb was $3,000 to $5,000 per race depending on what you broke. Different business climate out there right now I don't think I would get the same help. Asedan was expensive class to run. 400 hp on stock crank, rods and the block. Shifting at 7,800 would take it's toll on the 302. Always breaking the T-5's. Class is much better now. I think that's the problem I had with Big ben. many laps there using a T5 so using 4 there was not what I was used to.

Matt

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:

DMichaels said:
Starting a little east coast - west coast rivalry Steve? Someone out here needs to get one of those big Mack truck rigs to tow a bunch of our cars out west for a "left coast tour"

Just caught up with this thread. We need to stretch the boundary and add Gary (Cloud9) to the East coast team ;)

Who's providing the truck? 8)

New personal best at Barber -- 1:48.00

Ran a new personal best of 1:48.00 at Barber with ReZoom last week. Stock engine, tires, suspension -- except for camber bolts and SPEC clutch.
Video follows. Best lap is last one in video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOqor9PR1J8

BOSSSTANG said:
Consecutive 3:05's on the Grand Course East (VIR) today with Trackdaze. This thing pushes like a fat pig, what can I do!

Decent time!

From Cortex racing website...very helpful info.

The suggestions below assume that the tire pressures are known, good values for the tires being used on this particular vehicle.

Symptom: car pushes

Front Changes: (Begin here first)

Soften front Anti-Roll Bar (switch to holes further away from chassis pivot)
Install lighter front springs
Change tire pressure based on temperature readings
Decrease shock can pressure (Nitrogen reservoirs if you have them)
Adjust compression/rebound settings of front or rear shocks (this only works when suspension is moving such as entering or exiting corner. Steady state cornering (i.e. long sweeper corners require geometry or spring rate adjustments)
Lower front of car (useful for fine tuning after spring and ARBs are about right). This lowers the C.G. and also the roll center.
Increase camber (until braking performance starts to drop)
Increase caster (until steering system begins protesting)
Increase toe-out (too much will cause straight line instability and reduced straight-away speeds, also increased tire wear)
If all of these have been exhausted the driver is likely overdriving the vehicle and needs to slow the car down more and late apex the important corners that lead onto long straightaway. Work with what you have!

Rear Changes:

Raise rear watts pivot
Use stiffer rear springs
Increase shock can pressure (Nitrogen reservoirs if you have them)
Stiffen rear Anti-Roll Bar
Raise the rear ride height (useful for fine tuning after the springs and ARBs are about right)
Change tire pressure
Adjust compression/rebound settings of front or rear shocks (this only works when suspension is moving such as entering or exiting corner. Steady state cornering (i.e. long sweeper corners require geometry or spring rate adjustments)

BOSSSTANG said:
Consecutive 3:05's on the Grand Course East (VIR) today with Trackdaze. This thing pushes like a fat pig, what can I do!

Yeah, that's fast as balls. I took a ride and you've some mad skills. My best was 3:11. I'll post a vid as I don't believe we have one of the magnificent VIR Grand. We are both lowered on H&R race springs and every adjustment is a compromise resulting in more oversteer coming out of corners, which as you know, is quite an issue with our vehicles. I'm wondering if a bumpsteer kit and taller ball joints will help without causing more oversteer. I've got the Steeda parts in my garage.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel