The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just got word my Aluminator is now pushed back until July! Pretty much kills my track season for 2022. The L&M version is $2250 more than Ford's and likely available now but that eats up much of my budget. This sucks.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Just got word my Aluminator is now pushed back until July! Pretty much kills my track season for 2022. The L&M version is $2250 more than Ford's and likely available now but that eats up much of my budget. This sucks.

I just got my email too. This sucks because I have been waiting since September 19 2021. I would have built one on my own if I knew this BS.
Take a look at RPG Race Engines - their Gen 3 Stage 1 is about as close to the Aluminator short block as you can get. I was out the door at $5,250, freight included. Ordered December 3rd and delivered January 17th, and they were closed the week between Christmas and New Years.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I would imagine that will be more than the 5K cost of the Aluminator. I want a new motor from top to bottom because I really don't want to pull this thing out again for a long time.
Factory new gen 3 short block. 2500.00.

Thanks 67GTA.......I will check that out. The $2500 Gen 3 is very attractive but I really want all forged internals so I can spin it to near 8K somewhat reliably.

I was out the door at $5,250, freight included.
Looks like their price went up. Maybe they realize they can grab some of the desperate Aluminator business. They advertise $5,500 now. Still not bad if I can get it in a month and have a track season. Waiting to hear what they say.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks 67GTA.......I will check that out. The $2500 Gen 3 is very attractive but I really want all forged internals so I can spin it to near 8K somewhat reliably.
Good pump, good pan, good crank scrapers, 8k all day.

Monaca Pa
Have you considered building your own locally? Ford block stuffed with the same internals Ford uses. All the pieces are available, last I checked.

I might go the 5.2 block 5.0 crank and see what good rods I can get. I’m so pissed off at Ford right now. Since September every time I have tried to find out what was the hold up on my Aluminator short block they wouldn’t give me an answer 😡

Last edited:
Good pump, good pan, good crank scrapers, 8k all day.
So why build the Aluminator if a standard Gen 3 will do the same thing? If that's the case I'll take the 3K in savings and do some major head work. Am I wasting my money on the Aluminator????

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So why build the Aluminator if a standard Gen 3 will do the same thing? If that's the case I'll take the 3K in savings and do some major head work. Am I wasting my money on the Aluminator????
According to Shaun at AED….he’s got a lot of very high powered motors out there on stock internals. (Over 1000 hp) I ran all year 8k plus with no issues. As long as the oiling system is done right and there’s no detonation they seem to do just fine. I was skeptical too but so far he’s been right about everything and at that price you could afford to just buy a new one every few years and keep a fresh motor in the car. That’s where my money is and I’m going to do it again for 2022. Let’s see what happens.

Last edited:
I never thought about an OEM Gen 3 but the cost savings are pretty attractive. I just wonder if they are available. Might have to rethink this.

As long as the oiling system is done right and there’s no detonation they seem to do just fine.
I bought the GT500 pan, pump and pick-up.........that should fall under "done right" I would think? Was also planning to add an Accusump. What about a crank scraper??

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Backing up what Fabman said..... I asked Shaun at AED if it was worth sending him a Aluminator instead of a stock gen 3 shortblock for my build with him. He said in his opinion, it would be a waste of money. So who am I to disagree. My AED built engine is arriving at my reshipper today. Crank scrappers and all.

TMO Supporting Vendors