The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 help/suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok maybe brutal in comparison to what I’m used to. This last set of rear pads lasted
Two 30 min sprint races and 8- DE sessions. So Roughly 3.5 hours or track time. To put it that way doesn’t seem to bad. I’m just used to rears lasting significantly longer than the fronts, not vice versa. Luckily there pretty cheap
are the rear parking brakes still in? 60's may not be enough for the front and so the rear is doing more work - which with wing but low power is possible.

This has to be a traction control issue or some such problem. The rears should last several times longer then the fronts. I put a set of Pagid rsl29 pads in the rear and they have over 7 track hours on them with plenty life left still.
Are you running the bossS/R race abs?
There are several threads on here about the high rear pad wear when using the race abs.

are the rear parking brakes still in? 60's may not be enough for the front and so the rear is doing more work - which with wing but low power is possible.
Parking brake completely removed. Zero drag on the rear brakes. The dtc60/30 combo feels good on track. But I see where your thought is about the compounds. I’m still new here trying to learn the platform.

This has to be a traction control issue or some such problem. The rears should last several times longer then the fronts. I put a set of Pagid rsl29 pads in the rear and they have over 7 track hours on them with plenty life left still.
The magic words "Pagid" brake pads. And yes the Ford Performance ABS module disable traction and stability control functions. They also are more rear biased because A) it will help rear rotation during trail braking, and B) It was designed for use on cars with added downforce from large rear wings and that can be used to improve overall brake performance. The RSL29 Pagid compound is less aggressive initial bite and more durable than the Hawk DTC30s, I run either Pagid RST3 or RST1 up front in combination. That is a pretty common setup among Mustang racers who choose Pagid.

I have never used the DTC30 pads but my competitor did.... He put brand new DTC30 pads up front and after one 20min session the car limped in with no pads and ruined discs. As he went out to try them, I teased him that his discs would suffer, but I did not expect such a melt down. Pads disintegrated, and discs scored beyond repair.

Then again it was a supercharged E93 M3 with 575rwhp.

Small update. Car is working better every time I go out. Went from a 350 to a 425 rear spring. I really like it. Even moved the front bar to middle position from soft. Car has nice rotation now and very drivable. I switched to ebc RP-1 pads in the rear with what seems good results.

Raced with NASA NE in ST4 at njmp thunderbolt this past weekend. 8 starters, qualified 3rd in the wet, race was dry made got passed on the start by the winner but made a pass for 2nd on lap 3. Also got 2nd in TT4 in a 9 car field.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel