The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

302 Hi Pro said:
Nice work. When completed can you post a pic of the under-hood side of your new MT-82 trans vent system?

Thanks so much,
Dave
302 HP

Here you go:

IMG_1173_zpskrdvvjmq.jpg

Extended the Oil Breather mount bracket to hold the Trans vent. It's so high that I figured a can wasn't needed -- less weight :)

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

steveespo said:
Nick
What size did you tap the transmission case?

Steve,
1/8" NPT (11/32" pilot drill), with a 6AN fitting and Hose.

You'd need to go bigger with the newer trans. Mine had an 8mm hole for the breather, I believe the newer ones are 10mm....

Black Boss said:
Steve,
1/8" NPT (11/32" pilot drill), with a 6AN fitting and Hose.

You'd need to go bigger with the newer trans. Mine had an 8mm hole for the breather, I believe the newer ones are 10mm....
Did you have it upside down to drill and tap (and then flushed it in this position)?

I went through my 3rd left rear caliper. This time it was a leak around the seal. First 2 had seized up. Can't seem to find out why its only one side. Right side is still the original.

Smilieboy said:
I went through my 3rd left rear caliper. This time it was a leak around the seal. First 2 had seized up. Can't seem to find out why its only one side. Right side is still the original.
Left foot braking? ;D

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

patrickshelby said:
Did you have it upside down to drill and tap (and then flushed it in this position)?

No, I rotated it to lower than horizontal, applied a shop vac while drilling and tapped in slow increments removing swarf from the tap, with each 1/2 turn.

Will run a short first fluid change interval......

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports on Friday from Tire Rack.com delivery is scheduled for next week. 265/40ZR19's front and 295/35ZR19's rear.

Interesting note is this tire set is spec'ed for a BMW M5.

302 Hi Pro said:
Ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports on Friday from Tire Rack.com delivery is scheduled for next week. 265/40ZR19's front and 295/35ZR19's rear.

Interesting note is this tire set is spec'ed for a BMW M5.

I run Michelin's on out F150 and my wife's Porsche. I'd like to hear how you like M's compared to the P's that are spec'd on the Boss.

seca954 said:
I run Michelin's on out F150 and my wife's Porsche. I'd like to hear how you like M's compared to the P's that are spec'd on the Boss.
I have the same size Michelins. Much more grip dry than the stock P's. Night and day difference on wet (felt like I was tip toeing around with the P's when it rained).

looked at it.....! I can't drive for weeks due to a shoulder surgery last week.

seca954 said:

I'm running the same size super sports currently...after having run P's and P Corsa's...the michelins have so much more grip in every condition I've run them in...particularly when cold / it's wet versus the corsas.

The only thing I did to the car today was throw my helmet in there for the Shelby Mini Nats this weekend. But I did finally order my bracket so I can install my LS splitter. So get ready Rick for that phone call....haha

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

ArizonaBOSS said:
Took the car home in one piece in 4th place for NASA West Coast National Championships in ST2.

Congrats and job well done. Bringing her home in one piece is always a win in my book!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Received my new tires this week, mounted and balanced Michelin PSS's on my FRPP Forged wheels. Went with 265/40ZR19's Front and 295/35ZR19's Rear.

Will install this morning and then detail the Boss. Nice to have my signature pic wheels back on with new rubber.

Fortunately I was able to use my Dealers shop equipment to mount and balance using the Road/Load Force computer balance equipment and each wheel/tire only used between 1.50 - 1.75 ounces of stick-on weights to balance.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

drano38

Wayne

Started the Watson roll bar install today, and had the help of my daughter.
Not a bad way to spend my birthday. ;D
Got the gussets out (wow, lots of goo when they put them in!), holes drilled and nut plates riveted in.
Next is setting it back in to see how much I need to open up the hoop holes, then drill the rear plate holes.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Left it at home and went to MMP for their 4 day licensing program. Ran a 2015 GT on day 1 -- very impressive even on street tires, then their modified Boss on day 2, and for the NASA Race weekend yesterday and today.

What a blast! Will post photos and more details later, but now need to decide whether to prep a race car......

TMO Supporting Vendors