The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Hi Black Boss:

I think that is very impressive performance for TracKey, and nets you a solid 500 Naturally Aspariated Horse Power rating at the crankshaft. 500 RWHP * 11.2% PL = (56 HP), or if PL is 15% then, 523 RWHP * 15% = (78 HP).

This happens to be timely information to other posts I have read in regard to the TK program running Lean Air/Fuel Ratio conditions. I too run TK with Kooks Shorty headers, OEM Cats & O2 sensors, and an Airaid PJ CF CAI with a FRPP 84.5mm TB. Suppositly, running TK with these mods makes TK run even leaner.

Did you happen to run AFR tables?

Also, if this assertion is true, wouldn't this condition also increase cylinder temps?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion on this, and posting the above TK with mods Dyno results.

Regards,
302 HP

Black Boss said:
Need to add a bit of weight back for TT3 :(
Drink more beer. ;D

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi Black Boss:

I think that is very impressive performance for TracKey, and nets you a solid 500 Naturally Aspariated Horse Power rating at the crankshaft. 500 RWHP * 11.2% PL = (56 HP), or if PL is 15% then, 523 RWHP * 15% = (78 HP).

This happens to be timely information to other posts I have read in regard to the TK program running Lean Air/Fuel Ratio conditions. I too run TK with Kooks Shorty headers, OEM Cats & O2 sensors, and an Airaid PJ CF CAI with a FRPP 84.5mm TB. Suppositly, running TK with these mods makes TK run even leaner.

Did you happen to run AFR tables?

Also, if this assertion is true, wouldn't this condition also increase cylinder temps?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion on this, and posting the above TK with mods Dyno results.

Regards,
302 HP

I'm not running cats and have open sidepipes, both of which help with flow.

Here's a plot of AFR for the 3 runs (note power here is STD not SAE and plotted versus speed not rpm). Interestingly on the first run (in Blue) the AFR got low at 125, but the ECU then pulled timing (note the power and torque drop). No issues on runs 2 or 3 with AFR, so the ECU seems to learn and handle........

RWHP%202_zpsq3zxia7i.jpg

Hope this helps.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Safe A/F at full throttle/high rpm is 12.3-12.5:1. For power 12:7-12.9:1 works. This is for 93 octane/10%ethanol fuels. Pure gasoline can run leaner.
Ratios between 13.5-14.5:1 are part throttle low load ratios for economy. Nick's Track Key numbers are a little lean but may be so since we ran pure gasoline while in Nebraska last weekend. Power is excellent, Ford tune worked really well with the headers and exhaust.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

superhero said:
So what should be the A/F be?
Whats safe
Whats to lean
Whats to rich
for our cars.

Thank you

Hi Super Hero:

(NOTE: Straight Gasoline, No ethanol example, Steve's example is correct for Gasoline containing 10% Ethanol. Then Lower all quoted AFR's listed below by 2.0 parts air.)

For gasoline internal combustion engines, the ideal AFR, (Air Fuel Ratio), is approximately 14.7:1 or 14.7 parts Air to 1 part Fuel. This ratio allows just enough Air in the AF mixture to burn 100 percent of the fuel charge..

However, there are so many variables at play here that our engines will never truly attain an exact 14.7:1 mixture. The key is to have our engines run at an average 14.7:1 AFR. One factor is the extremely short duration or time the AFR charge remains in suspension in the cylinder at detonation, which decreases as RPM rise. It is only 3, 4 or 5 milliseconds at 6,000 RPM's. Another factor is Octane ratings and a more complex variable is the additive package formulation by brand. (Oxygenated Fuel).

In general terms, an AFR of 15.0:1 is a Lean condition and a 15.7:1 AFR is even Leaner. Conversely a 14.0:1 AFR is a Rich condition and a 13.5:1 AFR is even Richer

If our PCM, (Powertrain Control Module) and average a 14.7:1 AFR, we would all be in great shape, but with so many variables, it very difficult as mentioned above. Example: If a fuel additive package is used with a highly oxygenated fuel mix, then a 14.3:1 AFR might be optimal for that engine with that fuel additive package. (Note: Less external air would be required in the AFR mixture as the fuel contains the Oxygen required to attain the 14.7:1 AFR. Like I said it is a complex calculation.

IMO safe AFR's would be in the range of 14.7:1 (+\- .2 parts air).

In the example above, using the same 2.2 parts/air deficit variable, the AFR would have been 16.9:1. This example represents an extremely Lean condition, but the PCM pulled timing until a more acceptable AFR was achieved and power increased momentarily to the end of run.

It would seem to me that Nick is running O2 sensors with his Cat delete exhaust system. Otherwise, the PCM would not be able sense a lean condition to pull timing.

We do have an small window of an extra measure of security with our wide band O2 sensors.

302 HP

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Black Boss said:
I'm not running cats and have open sidepipes, both of which help with flow.

Here's a plot of AFR for the 3 runs (note power here is STD not SAE and plotted versus speed not rpm). Interestingly on the first run (in Blue) the AFR got low at 125, but the ECU then pulled timing (note the power and torque drop). No issues on runs 2 or 3 with AFR, so the ECU seems to learn and handle........

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/BlackB0ss/RWHP%202_zpsq3zxia7i.jpeg[/ig][/URL]

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

That is a lot of power for a "stock" tune with a full exhaust. I'm impressed.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Got the car back yesterday and here's the results:

Dyno first:

Here's the results from a previous dyno done on 2/15/2014

DYNO%20-%20RWR%20Dyno%202-15-14_zpshoyjvmbs.jpg

This is with the Airaid PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5 TB, DSS one piece DS, Borla ABs, no baffles on sidepipes, run on 91 octane - Red and Silver key.

Here's the results from Friday, 9/25/2015

O%20-%20Finish%20Line%20Dyno%209-25-15_zpswsp8zhvb.jpg

This is with the Kooks shorty headers and side pipes, Borla OAs, MRT after-cat H-pipes, QTP cutouts and Peterson breather kit added. Also ran on 91 octane - Red Key only.

Not what I expected but I called after getting the car home and for some reason they ran the test with the cutouts closed which I suspect has something to do with the lower results.
They told me that they figured about 498HP at the crank but I think it's probably closer to 480HP.

I'm certainly no expert on these Dyno tests so please chime in and tell me what you think. Note that these were done at two different performance shops but it looks like they were both run on Dynojet systems but I'm not sure if it's the same Dynojet equipment. Not sure what Winpep Dynojet 7 is. It does look like the run conditions weren't the same but pretty close.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

TS: on a positive note, your AFR's appear to be good, hard to tell exactly what the numbers were but they are in the right range. Did they give you a more detail graph on this?

How did she feel/sound/drive with the new mods?

Regards,
Dave
302 HP

This was my dyno with kooks shortys and jegs cat deletes - everything else stock - silver key. Tuned by JDM Enginering when it was NA. Car was a beast. Now that im FI its a beast +++

dyno-boss_zps729f206b.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

LP Heaven said:
This was my dyno with kooks shortys and jegs cat deletes - everything else stock - silver key. Tuned by JDM Enginering when it was NA. Car was a beast. Now that im FI its a beast +++

Beast Deluxe!

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626

:( Sold it.

Would have liked to have kept it forever, or at least rolled it into a GT350, but that just wasn't in the cards right now. Pulled the equity out for family needs; got what I wanted for it. But, damn, I feel like I lost a family member. Hard seeing the empty spot in the garage. Best car I've ever owned!

I'll continue to lurk around, living vicariously, unless it becomes too painful. ;) I plan on getting right and snagging a GT350 at some point, if not another badass Boss just like mine.

Enjoy your Boss, fellas. You never know what life has in store for you.

Four months ago,disaster.While parked at work,some moron was spraying his car with industrial contact cement and completely covered my Boss.Thirty feet away on a windy day spraying his headliner.After 3 bodyshops failed to correct the corrosive damage,it ended up getting a complete re spray,and new decals.All covered by my insurance.I had a crappy summer,stressing about the deal,and while at the final shop,they broke the windshield!.Anyways,I was thinking about selling it when it was finished,to maybe get a 70's car again.After looking at vintage cars,all needing something,and gasping at $30 to 60 k for Camaros,Cudas ect,I thought thats nuts.I have a killer car now with an extended(8 more years)warrantee.Just keep it,enjoy it and update it.I sold the extra set SVE black wheels,and bought some chrome Saleen's,the Boss 302 faux gas door emblem,and bought a used carbon fiber spoiler.Just finished up today.I did have to "clearance" the driver's side wheel to caliper as it slightly rubbed.I carefully removed enough from the spoke backside,and filed the Brembo's offending area.Nothing big,a few thou.All good.I like my Boss more now,a little "bling".I also did not replace the rear panel decal yet,as I was thinking too much black.Hope you like it.Cheers.
UNABLE TO INSERT PICS,WILL TRY LATER

IMG_0392_zps6o2lk5dx.jpg

IMG_0398_zpsrbsl6ftc.jpg

IMG_0402_zpsjeu03fck.jpg
IMG_0393_zps2wpgavpv.jpg

IMG_0397_zpsvboafjvj.jpg

Finally got around to instaliing FRPP Relocation Brackets and FRPP Rear LCAs with poly bushings. Took about 4 hours on Race Ramps. NO FREAKING INSTRUCTIONS came with either the brackets or LCAs so it was a bit of trial and error and internet searching.

i was a bit skeptical on how much it would help launches and wheel hop, but to my surprise it made a huge difference. My car was lowered on Steeda Boss Springs so about an 1" drop in the rear. I used the top mounting hole and have a good angle towards the rear now.

Left a big piece of forearm skin un-hooking the E-Brake line though.

Helpful hints:
1. While ramps are easy if I did it again I would jack the car with stands under the axel. Taking the rear wheels off would give more room for torque wrench.
2. The driver side bracket has a flange that goes inside the stock mount under the panhard bolt.
3. The passenger side bracket flange goes outside the stock mount and bolts with supplied bolt and nut.
4. It' nearly impossible to use the nut supplied inside the stock mount on the passenger side (no room for wrench) so I reused the factory nut with welded flange that self locks.
5. Dont forget the locktite then have to remove all the nuts and apply. Ugggg!
6. Wear a long sleeve shirt. Sharp parts under there. Ouch!!!!

Calif boss302 said:
Finally got around to instaliing FRPP Relocation Brackets and FRPP Rear LCAs with poly bushings. Took about 4 hours on Race Ramps. NO FREAKING INSTRUCTIONS came with either the brackets or LCAs so it was a bit of trial and error and internet searching.

i was a bit skeptical on how much it would help launches and wheel hop, but to my surprise it made a huge difference. My car was lowered on Steeda Boss Springs so about an 1" drop in the rear. I used the top mounting hole and have a good angle towards the rear now.

Left a big piece of forearm skin un-hooking the E-Brake line though.

Helpful hints:
1. While ramps are easy if I did it again I would jack the car with stands under the axel. Taking the rear wheels off would give more room for torque wrench.
2. The driver side bracket has a flange that goes inside the stock mount under the panhard bolt.
3. The passenger side bracket flange goes outside the stock mount and bolts with supplied bolt and nut.
4. It' nearly impossible to use the nut supplied inside the stock mount on the passenger side (no room for wrench) so I reused the factory nut with welded flange that self locks.
5. Dont forget the locktite then have to remove all the nuts and apply. Ugggg!
6. Wear a long sleeve shirt. Sharp parts under there. Ouch!!!!

i have P springs / LCAs / relo brackets ready to go in...thanks for the notes!

The Ford Racing LCA's got rid of all my wheel hop. I'm still on the stock UCA too.

Calif boss302 said:
Helpful hints:
Would it be better to jack up the car and place the stands under the pinch welds like this?

lsDSC02197.jpg

I have a set of Kenny Brown jacking rails on order to facilitate that very thing - and avoid crimping/crushing the down-standing flanges....

VooDooBOSS said:
The Ford Racing LCA's got rid of all my wheel hop. I'm still on the stock UCA too.
Would it be better to jack up the car and place the stands under the pinch welds like this?

TMO Supporting Vendors