The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
I agree totally with Mike about 5th just before entering Turn 2, just keeps the car accelerating more smoothly instead of having it wound up in 4th with all that HP and Torque to manage while the car is transitioning right then left. Then you have to upshift while making the exit onto the straight. Anyway Nick and I had a grand time again today weather held out right till the end. I managed a 2:20.44 on the last lap of the last session, once again I had a final lap going where I was 1.5 seconds up on my best and the checkers came out at the sole of the boot. Video to be up shortly for official confirmation.
Video added:
[youtube]<iframe width="480" height="270" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d9htAMoWcYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Just got back home from the Glen. Well worth the 7+ hour drive each way. What a fantastic track, especially for our cars! As Steve said we had a blast, the weather stayed good and Chin's organization is fantastic.

Thanks for the tips from everyone. Didn't get to read them till just now, but will try them on the next trip. Managed over a dozen laps in the 17/18's. Just need more bottle in the Esses!

Can't wait for a return trip! Also wish it was closer!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Spent the day at Thompson again today with NEQ. Had a great day, still learning the track. Fixed my front brake cooling issues (finally), but now the rear right caliper is sticking and it overheated. Had to bleed that one, single caliper after each session... going to buy a new caliper now... always something.

Anyways:

2014 GT TP, Koni/SR suspension, Street tires (300 treadwear), stock power, Pagid/Raybestos pads, SRF, SS lines, cooling

Video:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/TNjv82dYjP8[/youtube]

What a great thread. Unfortunatey, I never checked the stickies.

Black Boss and DMichaels those lap times are awesome. Great to see what these cars are capable of. I just got Harry's Laptimer myself for my last Watkins Glen event and will upload a video. This is very helpful to see how much speed you guys are carrying through the corners.

Mike, I'll have to try your tip about running up the esses in 5th. I had been short shifting into 4th before 2 then short shifting into 5th between 3&4 when I would go straight for just about long enough to shift, but since I don't have either the guts, the grip or both to be anywhere near flat in 4th through the esses, it makes perfect sense to use 5th.

Can't wait to get back out and see if I can't improve, now that I have the laptimer.

OK, I had downloaded the day in groups of 3 laps each. Looks like Mr. inconsistency is all over the place and unfortunately I can't blame traffic. First lap was my best of the day 2:19:20 with excellent track conditions, Nitto NT01's [275/305], Pagid RST-2, ATE brake fluid and brake cooling ducts, otherwise stock.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psXhuA406eA[/youtube]

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Not bad at all ! Thanks for posting the video. I like watching side by side with mine to see where others are gaining time on me for next time I get out...

You like the nittos?

Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll have to try watching side by side and see what I can learn.

Yeah the Nitto's are nice. I didn't see a real big difference over the stock Pirelli's when I first switched over, but I only had about 6 days at that time so it may just have been my lack of awareness. One thing I can say is that they have lasted much longer than I expected. I have 11 days on them now and still have a ton of tread. I don't think I'll be cording these like I've seen Conti take offs get corded. I'm probably beyond optimum heat cycles for maximum grip, but since I'm not going to be setting any track records, they work for me. Nothing unpredictable about them, in fact they feel about the same as they did when new, again may be lack of awareness. I think the real test will be when I do replace them which is when I would expect to see a big difference in grip.

Currently sitting here at Watkins Glen waiting for the rain to pass over. Yesterday had a great day here with decent weather. My timier only worked for the 1st session and the 4th session. The timer failed to worked for my fastest laps which were in session 2 and 3. The fastest lap in session 4 was 2.13.3. I had switched form NT01 305's to Pirelli slick take-offs. What a difference between the Nitto's and the P-zeros. I am going to be selling my NT01's now. I am going to try and get my lap time from videos from 2 and 3 and see what I ran. I am thinking around 2.11's. The boss 302S I had passed said he had ran 2.11's here and was surprised I was passing him!

Currently sitting here at Watkins Glen waiting for the rain to pass over. Yesterday had a great day here with decent weather. My timier only worked for the 1st session and the 4th session. The timer failed to worked for my fastest laps which were in session 2 and 3. The fastest lap in session 4 was 2.13.3. I had switched form NT01 305's to Pirelli slick take-offs. What a difference between the Nitto's and the P-zeros. I am going to be selling my NT01's now. I am going to try and get my lap time from videos from 2 and 3 and see what I ran. I am thinking around 2.11's. The boss 302S I had passed said he had ran 2.11's here and was surprised I was passing him!

Mike that is really hauling. Would love to see the video when you have a chance to upload. My last instructor at Watkins Glen gave me a ride in his Porsche GT3 Supercup car [European spec series race car] and he was also running Pirelli slicks and grip was phenomenal. Not sure how much was car and how much was tire. I'd also be interested to know how many sessions you get out of set [may be hard to tell since take offs can vary quite a bit]. Where are you buying the Pirelli take offs, and have you ever had a chance to run Conti take offs to compare the 2. Well good luck with the weather, have fun and be safe.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Hermes said:
Where are you buying the Pirelli take offs, and have you ever had a chance to run Conti take offs to compare the 2.

Not Mike, but I've run both the Contis (take-off and new) and Pirellis (take-off only). The Pirellis are worth 1-2 seconds over the continental take-offs. The continental GTR, when new, is more comparable to the pirelli take offs time-wise, but falls off faster. The continental GTO is slower (new or take-off) than both of the above options.

I ran a set of Pirelli take-offs at Road America this past August. I had three days of track-time on them. They fell off about 1 second a day time-wise, but never really got greasy or let go... just not the same level of grip.

I'm getting my take-offs from GTRacing out of Wisconsin. The new Continentals were purchased directly from Hoosier.

What an afternoon at the Glen! I ran a really good personal best. Fastest lap of the day for me was 2.09.8 with the second fastest being 2.10.39 and a top speed of 145 down the back straight. This is with Pirelli P-Zero DH slicks in 305/660R18 all the way around. Still running stock shocks and struts with P springs. I did switch to a 18mm rear sway bar which made a huge difference in handling. The car is so neutral and goes anywhere I put it. I checked and I did get video of this run. It will take me a while to get the data imported but once I do I will post the video. These take off Pirellis have so much stick to them.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
06mach1 said:
What an afternoon at the Glen! I ran a really good personal best. Fastest lap of the day for me was 2.09.8 with the second fastest being 2.10.39 and a top speed of 145 down the back straight. This is with Pirelli P-Zero DH slicks in 305/660R18 all the way around. Still running stock shocks and struts with P springs. I did switch to a 18mm rear sway bar which made a huge difference in handling. The car is so neutral and goes anywhere I put it. I checked and I did get video of this run. It will take me a while to get the data imported but once I do I will post the video. These take off Pirellis have so much stick to them.

Fantastic time Mike, really well done! Looking forward to the video :)

What do you think the slicks are worth time wise over the NT01's?

Mike, that is outstanding. Glad to hear the weather cleared up and it's great to know our cars are capable of going that fast in pretty close to stock trim. I have a lot of work to do on my driving, but as I start to get that sorted out it will be a lot of fun to try and follow in your footsteps with springs, rear sway bar, tires...

After getting rides in some of these Porsche cup cars it's easy to start thinking that someday I may want or need something like that to keep going faster. With those times you're getting it makes it great to know I won't be outgrowing my car's capability anytime soon [if at all].

Thanks for spreading the word and PLEASE post a video when you get a chance.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
06mach1 said:

Very impressive - also dying to see the video.

And here is the video of my forth session at Watkins Glen. Had to bring it in on the 11th lap due to fuel level getting a little low and running out of gas in turn 6. I use a G-Tech Pro for data and Dashware to overlay the data to my GoPro video. I was unable to figure out how to hold the last lap times for a short period of time on the lap timer. I have done it in the past? Anyone know what I am doing wrong? My fastest lap was lap 10 and I ran a 2.09.8. I also ran a 2.10.39 and a few 2.12's. Fastest speed down the back straight was 146 mph. If anyone told me that they could run sub 2.10's at the Glen with the few mods I have I would have thought they were crazy! I am sure the Pirelli P-Zero slicks in 305/660R18 make a big difference, but what really helped my square setup was the 18mm rear sway bar. Still running the stock shocks with P springs and you can see the body still rolls quite a bit, but it sure has grip!. Is there a 2.08 there? Just might be!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fdscAIUOcFI[/youtube]

Nice driving Mike. You need to use the outside of the curbing at turn 1 like the NASCAR boys do! Who was driving the KB Boss?

NFSBOSS said:
Nice driving Mike. You need to use the outside of the curbing at turn 1 like the NASCAR boys do! Who was driving the KB Boss?

If you use the outside of the curbing in 1 they consider it all 4 wheels off and you have to come in and you get scolded. The same with the outside of the curbing on 10. The KB Boss is driven by an instructor, first name of Dave. I can't remember his last name (I am terrible with names!). I believe he is a member here but does not post very often.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel