The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last edited:
Now there’s something no one has seen in quite a while. Frankenstang fully assembled, with a fresh engine and sitting on its own wheels. Some cleanup, an alignment and a quick pass over the scales and this thing is ready for the dyno. Then…..look out, cause here we come!

IMG_0824.jpeg

Must be out of the loop, Sal. What happened to the previous motor? It just needed a refresh? Or did it expire?
Something bad happened to it.

Now there’s something no one has seen in quite a while. Frankenstang fully assembled, with a fresh engine and sitting on its own wheels. Some cleanup, an alignment and a quick pass over the scales and this thing is ready for the dyno. Then…..look out, cause here we come!

View attachment 97537
That is 1 bad ass race car !!

That is 1 bad ass race car !!
Well, it kind of was in '21 and '22....But, this is the end of '24 and it hasn't seen whatever is out there now. Someone is always building a better mousetrap.
Might only be a field filler at this point, and it should be. The car wasn't built to be a race car, it was built to be a track day toy so a lot was left on the table.
The HPDE officials kept telling me the other drivers (mostly Porsche and Vette owners) didn't care for the speed in which I went by them and that I needed to go W2W.
So, it became a race car after it was already built as a track car. Had I started with a full race car in mind (and had sufficient funds for proper gear) it would be significantly faster.
It's over weight and under powered with sh!t for brakes and my Tremec is no match for a proper sequential or Dog Box.
However, its does very well for what it is and I'm happy with what I've managed to do so far.
I'll be 66 in October so if I can make the final 3 races of '24 I will close my tool box and I hang my helmet up....again.
I guess we'll see how that goes.

I didn't hang up my W2W stint till I was 69, and just a few months from 70, so Sal you have at least 3 good years left in youth!
Its not the years, its the dollars.
I need to figure out how to retire from this mess, not continue to waste what little resources California allows me to retain.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel